ਰਹਿਣੀਰਹੈਸੋਈਸਿਖਮੇਰਾ॥ ਓੁਹਸਾਹਿਬਮੈਉਸਕਾਚੇਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Questions about Gurmat
Posted by: silahiwala (IP Logged)
Date: November 20, 2007 09:38AM

Vahiguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Vahiguroo Ji Ki Fateh!

Can sangat please help answer these questions:

1. In Bani it says to eat less, sleep less, and talk less. However in read sakhi’s from various books it says that Guru Tegh Bahadur always made sure that Guru Gobind Singh was well nourished to his fill. Does this mean that eating less only applies to adults?

2. In relation to last question, does it mean that Singh’s shouldn’t take e.g. protein shakes and eat more if training/exercising? As been told many foods prevent mind from focusing on naam simran so its best to eat little as possible.

3. Some sakhi books say that Guru Gobind Singh always wore a kirpan on both sides and told all his Singh’s to also wear a kirpan on both sides like the 6th Master. However, some fellow gursikhs say not to do this as then we are copying the 6th master. It’s generally understood that the Kalgi on the dastaar is only for the wearing of the Guru, but can’t kirpans be worn on both sides as they are shaastar and just wearing kirpan shaastar weight on one side of body aides in unbalancing the Gursikh? And shouldn’t we all aim to be exactly like the Guru inside and out?

4. Are Khalsa not allowed to sail on ships because from ‘Baba Attar Singh’ book he says that Guru forbade it. Was that hukum just for him or whole panth?

Vahiguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Vahiguroo Ji Ki Fateh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2007 10:09AM by admin.

Re: Questions about Gurmat
Posted by: silahiwala (IP Logged)
Date: November 22, 2007 11:36AM

Please could some khalsa definately answer the double kirpan question (question 3.) as really need to know this answer to prevent any possible beadbi!

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 23, 2007 12:58PM

----------
1. In Bani it says to eat less, sleep less, and talk less. However in read sakhi’s from various books it says that Guru Tegh Bahadur always made sure that Guru Gobind Singh was well nourished to his fill. Does this mean that eating less only applies to adults?
-------------

I don’t think it means that we should not feed our kids adequately. Eating less means that one should not eat out of rass i.e. one should try to shed worldly pleasures and indulge in the pleasure of Naam. Eating less or eating simple applies to oneself. One shouldn’t be forcing one’s spouse or kids to eat inadequately.

---------
2. In relation to last question, does it mean that Singh’s shouldn’t take e.g. protein shakes and eat more if training/exercising? As been told many foods prevent mind from focusing on naam simran so its best to eat little as possible.
----------

A Singh should eat food according to Gurmat Bibek. If one eats dudh, gheo, lassi, daal, saag, rot etc. one would not need to take in artificial protein shakes or other such stuff. I am not sure if such stuff is bibek. I myself don’t take it and don’t know any Bibeki Singh who does.

-----------
3. Some sakhi books say that Guru Gobind Singh always wore a kirpan on both sides and told all his Singh’s to also wear a kirpan on both sides like the 6th Master. However, some fellow gursikhs say not to do this as then we are copying the 6th master. It’s generally understood that the Kalgi on the dastaar is only for the wearing of the Guru, but can’t kirpans be worn on both sides as they are shaastar and just wearing kirpan shaastar weight on one side of body aides in unbalancing the Gursikh? And shouldn’t we all aim to be exactly like the Guru inside and out?
-----------

As a shaster, one can wear as many as one wants but as a hukam of Guru Sahib it’s mandatory to wear the kakaar kirpaan on the left side.

--------
4. Are Khalsa not allowed to sail on ships because from ‘Baba Attar Singh’ book he says that Guru forbade it. Was that hukum just for him or whole panth?
--------

Sant jee must have said something in a context. There is no prohibition for Khalsa to sail or use boats or ships for travelling.

The above are daas’ personal opinions.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Posted by: Outwardly (IP Logged)
Date: November 23, 2007 06:55PM

Bhai Kulbir Singh jeeo, just a few quick questions regarding your 3rd answer. What is the basis of this Hukam to wear Kirpaan on left hand side? Could you please provide this Hukam? What if someone is left handed?

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa,
Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!

Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 24, 2007 12:24AM

<<In Bani it says to eat less, sleep less, and talk less. However in read sakhi’s from various books it says that Guru Tegh Bahadur always made sure that Guru Gobind Singh was well nourished to his fill. Does this mean that eating less only applies to adults?>>

Eating less does not mean that one shud remain bhukkha and look like a sukki dandee, hahaha. Eating less means not eating more than required. People who japp decent naaam automatically eat less and people who dont japp naam eat more than what is required which leads to laziness, deseases,headache, stomach upset(and burn the nasal hair of other people, hahahahahahahahahaha).
Singhs shud eat less but whatever they eat shud be healthy. I feel the best diet is moongi de daal,roti and salaad. Salaads really help in digestion and I feel that singhs shud eat lots of salaads especially moolii as after mooli, lots of loud dakkaars come which is a sign of proper digestion.

Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 25, 2007 12:37AM

THe kakkaar has to be on our body,its not mandatory for sri sahib to be on the left side. I prefer to keep my kakkaar, a 6 inch sri sahib in my dastaar and wear a 1 feet sri sahib on the outside. Many nihangs do the same ie keep their kakkaar in dastaar and I love to do most things than nihangs do(other than having bhangg, sulpha etc., lol)

Posted by: Outwardly (IP Logged)
Date: November 29, 2007 10:48AM

bump! (directed to Bh. Kulbir Singh) :P

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 29, 2007 12:06PM

-------
Bhai Kulbir Singh jeeo, just a few quick questions regarding your 3rd answer. What is the basis of this Hukam to wear Kirpaan on left hand side? Could you please provide this Hukam? What if someone is left handed?
--------

I don't have a historical document to prove this. What I wrote was based on what I learned in sangat of Gursikhs here and in India. Some other things related to Kakaars that I believe are rehits are as follows:

1) Kirpan must be of Sarbloh and in Gaatra.

2) Every kakaar has a place and position where it should be kept most of the times, unless washing or doing other important stuff.

3) Based on point 2 above, the place for keski is on the head and same is true for Kangha. One can't wear kangha and keski at other parts of the body except for when washing, doing ishnaan etc.

4) Based on point 2 above, the place for kaRa is on the right hand. Furthermore, the kangha must be of Sarbloh only. I have heard that even if one is left-handed, still one should wear the kara on right hand. For many Singhs, this is a non-issue since they wear karas on both hands.

5) Based on point 2 above, the place for Siri Sahib (kirpan) is in the gaatra, on the left side of the body. Furthermore the kirpan must be of sarbloh and ideally above the clothes.

6) Based on point 2 above, the kachhera should be where it's place is. If one was to not wear kachherra where it should be worn and keep it wrapped around the waist or anywhere else, could it be considered a kakaar? I believe not. When taking off the kachherra, the right leg should be removed first and the right side of the new kachhera should be worn before moving to remove the left leg out of kachhera.

The above is written by this daas, based on what he has learned in the sangat of Gursikhs around the world. If you don't like it, don't take it. If you like it, adopt it.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib