ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Langar for 5 Singhs
Posted by: Pardeep Singh Bilga (IP Logged)
Date: May 17, 2010 03:26AM

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh.
I have a question regarding the quite common practice of Sikhs who call 5 Singhs (usually from local Gurdwara) in order to feed them langar.
This is sometimes done without sri Guru Granth sahib ji being present, i.e. for a paath ceremony etc.
I just wanted some clarity on this, as my personal view is that this is a rather Brahmin practice – i.e. they Brahmins are fed on certain occasions for good luck/prosperity by people in India.
Now I fully understand at the Gurdwara that karah-parshaad is given first to 5 amritdhari people before being distributed to the remaining sangat, but can somebody please advise if the practice of feeding 5 Singhs at home, without the presence of sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, is a hollow ritual?

Re: Langar for 5 Singhs
Posted by: Akaalee (IP Logged)
Date: May 17, 2010 08:59AM

From historical sources and Sakhis we have abundant advice from Guru Jee that if a Gursikh comes to you and you serve him with love then untold benefits/fal comes to the server. The saying is that if 5 Gursikhs or more were to turn up then there could be no greater fortune on the server it would be the equivalent of serving Guru Jee.

This is the basis on which this new ritual of inviting 5 Gursikhs is based on but it’s not the same. The major floor is that you are inviting them rather than they have come on their own accord. What would be their motivation to come to your place, it’s quite simple to figure out what the motive for an employee from a Gurdwara might be. Being hungry for food is not the reason they or anyone would come for.

If you were to hold a keertan deevan or an Akaand Paath then there is motivation for Gursikhs to turn up as they receive laahaa from Gurbanee. This is the correct and proper way in which we can serve langar to Sangat.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib