ਰਹਿਣੀਰਹੈਸੋਈਸਿਖਮੇਰਾ॥ ਓੁਹਸਾਹਿਬਮੈਉਸਕਾਚੇਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

hand washing dastaars
Posted by: Jangbir (IP Logged)
Date: April 07, 2010 04:08AM

I have recently taken up washing dastaars by hand and was wondering if anyone has any methods they use that work well? The method I use is below...the problem comes at #4 :S

1. I fill bucket with cold water
2. Once the dastaar kapra is completely wet, I use a bar of laundry soap and rub it on my hands and in the water to create froth
3. I kneed the dastaar with my knuckles for several minutes
4. I empty the bucket and often find that the water will have a lot of the dye in it
5. Repeat steps 1-4 but at step 3, I rub the dastaar together together instead of kneeding it.
6. Rinse it with water to get all the soap out and then twist it to get the water out
7. Let the kapra air dry on a rope for several hours

If someone knows of any better ways, please do enlighten the sangat...I don't particularly enjoy buying new dastaars every couple of months due to fading :(

Re: hand washing dastaars
Posted by: ... (IP Logged)
Date: April 07, 2010 07:21AM

you dont need to scrub your dastaar really hard! you wash your kesh every day so how dirty can your dastaar really get?

all we really need to do is leave it to soak in cold water and fabric softener (better than washing powder or soap) and then change the water after it has soaked for a hour or so, to make sure that its clean. if its a white dastaar and you've got a little mark on it then you can rub it softly until the mark comes off.

sorry for any mistakes, meri mat thoree raam.
gurfateh jio!

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib