ਨਸਾਜ਼ੋਨਬਾਜ਼ੋਨਫ਼ੌਜੋਨਫ਼ਰਸ਼॥ਖ਼ੁਦਾਵੰਦਬਖ਼ਸ਼ਿੰਦਹਿਐਸ਼ਿਅਰਸ਼॥੪॥ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ੧੦॥)

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Sri Dasam Granth Pronunciation
Posted by: Sukhdeep SIngh (IP Logged)
Date: November 13, 2009 03:55PM

Khalsa Ji

I was wondering what is the right pronunciation on the following pangti ( Forgive me I tried to post in Gurmukhi put I couldnt download the post)

I have seen many Gutkeys that write "Kal" Purakh Kee Dey Mo Kotak Bishan Mahesh, Kot Indra Brahama Kitey Rav Sas Kror Jalesh .

but older Gutkey Sahibs write Akal Purakh instead of Kal Purakh. So what is right Kal or Akal?

Re: Sri Dasam Granth Pronunciation
Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 14, 2009 10:30AM

I have always seen "Kaal Purakh kee deh mo". I haven't had darshan of old Gutka Sahibs that have the paath "Akal Purakh kee deh mo".

Vaheguru is Akal Purakh in the sense that he is beyond time i.e. times does not cast an effect on Vaheguru or that he is beyond death. Kaal means time and Kaal also means death.

Kaal Purakh would mean that Vaheguru is the Kaal of everyone. Siri Jaap Sahib repeats this name as "Namo Sarb Kaale" i.e. Namo to Kaal of everyone. Above this Vaheguru is also "Namo Kaal Kaale" i.e. he is the Kaal of his own Kaal form.

To me it makes more sense that Vishnu, Mahesh (Shiva), Brahma, and Indra etc. are part and parcel of the Kaal roop of Vaheguru proving that these Devtas are not Abinaashi (eternal). When Vaheguru himself is the Kaal and then also Kaal of his Kaal form, then he is also the Kaal of Millions of Vishnus, Shivas and Brahmas who are in the Deh of "Kaal Purakh".

Kulbir Singh

Date: November 14, 2009 03:01PM

Thanks for the clarification .

Previously I had doubts because my Nana Ji had a couple of Gutkas almost 100 years old that had Akal instead of Kal, and I thought maybe Guru Ji is referring to the invisible body ( Light ) of Akal Purakh which is the the support of everything and is beyond understanding.

Your explanation makes more sense. I never considered Kaal Purakh would mean that Vaheguru is the Kaal of everyone. this makes sense because then we are praising Akal Purakh and understand that other devtas are subservient to Akal Purakh.

Date: December 05, 2009 05:12PM

Bhai Sahib recently Ive been thinking about the translation you provided after further contemplation, I dont fully understand how this pangti is referring to Kaal/death

Are you saying that in this Pangti the meaning is Kaal (Waaheguru Ji) is the destroyer/death of everything? If so this could easily lead people to believe that this pangti is saying that all creation is going to be destroyed.

GUru Ji Says

kIqw pswau eyko kvwau ]iqs qy hoey lK drIAwau ]kudriq kvx khw vIcwru ]
vwirAw n jwvw eyk vwr ]jo quDu BwvY sweI BlI kwr ]qU sdw slwmiq inrMkwr ]16]

Through his pavitar rasna WaaheGuru Ji created everything inclusing thousands of planets and oceans. Through a single utterance ( Hukum/Naam) everything was created. This utterance is our Guru.To say everything is going to be destroyed is like saying there will be no more Gurmat. It was through naam everything was created and its through the sifat salah of Naam which supports everything.

WaaheGuru Ji created everything through his kindness so why would he destroy everything. Nobodys atma gets destroyed including shiva, bhrama,etc. The earth we walk on , the water we drink, the vegetables we eat were all created though the Most Merciful and Compassionate WaaheGuru JIs mat. Why would WaaheGuru Ji destroy everything. How would naam be practiced, why would WaaheGuru Ji cease creation, what purpose does that serve. No where in Gurbani does Guru Ji mention WaaheGuru will destroy everything. Guru Sahib only mentions people become close to WaaheGuru through his kindness. Waaheguru Ji created everything through Naam im not understanding how Kaal/ death is the support of everything?

Im not claiming that you are saying that the pangti is stating WaaheGuru Ji will destroy all plantets, suns moons, oceans, life, etc. I have heard many people say that WaaheGuru is going to destroy everything. THis mentality is very pessimistic and devalues Naam. Naam is the supporter of everything thus nothing can ever be destroyed. Could you please clearifly how the pangti in Sri Dasam Granth is referring to how Akal Purakh is the Kaal of everything.

Posted by: sss (IP Logged)
Date: December 11, 2009 02:34AM

One takes exception to your statement, "No where in Gurbani does Guru Ji mention WaaheGuru will destroy everything"

Daas takes the commonest of many examples from So Purakh dee Bani which is a part of evening Nitnem. Aside from this there are multiple examples where Guru has made clear the role of Vaheguru as creator and destroyer.

You are the Primal Being, the Most Wonderful Creator. There is no other as Great as You.
Age after age, You are the One. Forever and ever, You are the One. You never change, O Creator Lord.
Everything happens according to Your Will. You Yourself accomplish all that occurs.
You Yourself created the entire universe, and having fashioned it, You Yourself shall destroy it all.
Servant Nanak sings the Glorious Praises of the Dear Creator, the Knower of all. ||5||1||

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib