ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Gurbani Recitation
Posted by: Sukhdeep SIngh (IP Logged)
Date: October 30, 2009 06:31PM

Waaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

This is my first post on this forum. Lately I have been thinking about the W and V sounds in Gurbani.

Do words like Wakht,Puareeah and WaaheGuru, have to pronounced with a V when reciting Gurbani or can they be pronounced with a W sound?

Also why does the word Tripat in Gurbani sometimes show up without the R sound.
[www.sikhitothemax.com]

Is it wrong to pronounce it as Tripat still.

How do you post in Gurbani on this forum

Re: Gurbani Recitation
Posted by: ਸਿੰਘ (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2009 05:15AM

The subject of Gurbanee recitation is probably the most difficult to give advice on. There so many differing views even within like minded people, this just goes to show how deep the Ocean of Gurbanee really is. You will find people will change their views on certain things as they progress. You think you know something but then you read another part of Gurbanee and then you’re not sure, this is all part of Sikhee.

Therefore before writing on the subject of Gurbanee recitation I tried to consult a few GurSikhs before replying to your questions. There was no surprise as both had a slightly different angle on the subject.

One said the pronunciation of ‘ਵ’ should be ‘V’ and the other said both ‘V’ and ‘W’ can be used.

My view on this is that we are trying to fit the Gurmukhi letter of ‘ਵ’ in to an English alphabetic character of a particular sound but it does not fit completely. I don’t think ‘ਵ’ is either a ‘V’ or a ‘W’ completely it might be closer to one of them but it will never be that in the complete sense. So I would suggest to try and blank out the English character thought in the mind.

As for your second question I don’t think you should introduce a letter to the feet of a word that is not there unless you are sure it should be there. I like most people will play it safe and just read what is there.

This is really another topic but when I met Talwara Jee he said that he had done a lot of research into Purathan Birs of Guru Jee and found a lot of mistakes have happened when it comes down to aligning letters at the feet of words, some are missing and others have the wrong symbol. He said he gave his findings to the SGPC Dharam Parchar committee but he wasn’t hopeful of them doing anything with it.

As for you last question on posting in Gurbanee, I suggest you have a look at the following thread:

[www.tapoban.org]

Re: Gurbani Recitation
Posted by: Sukhdeep SIngh (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2009 04:49PM

Thank you Bhai Sahib your advice is greatly appreciated.

For the last couple of days I have been listening to more recordings from Singhs like Bhai Jeevan Singh Ji and have noticed that the letter is neither the English equivalent of V or W its somewhere in between, hopefully with Guru Jis kirpa I can learn the proper sound.

Generally I have never added a letter to the feet of a word but I just feel awkward reciting the word Tripat as Tipat especially when the pangti indicates the word means tripat.Im guessing its ok to recite it as Tripat as Bhai Sahib has mentioned some letters are missing at the feet of words in Purathan Birs.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib