ਰਹਿਣੀਰਹੈਸੋਈਸਿਖਮੇਰਾ॥ ਓੁਹਸਾਹਿਬਮੈਉਸਕਾਚੇਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Next step in becoming a Sikh
Posted by: newsikhi (IP Logged)
Date: September 03, 2009 04:45PM

Hello

I have been researching Sikhism for a while now and I feel that I should prepare myself for becoming a Sikh.
I am a non-Punjabi living in Burnaby and I was wondering which of the following gurdwaras should I should start
attending in order to start on my path Towards Sikhism.

Canadian Ramgharia Society
Gurdwara Sahib Dasmesh Darbar
Khalsa Diwan Society
Nanaksar Gurdwara Gursikh Temple
Gurdwara Khalsa Darbar
Akali Singh Sikh Society
Sikh Temple Sukhsagar

Signed Norman Crowther

Re: Next step in becoming a Sikh
Posted by: ਖਾਲਸਾ (IP Logged)
Date: September 06, 2009 05:42AM

Dear Norman

You are not alone in the quest for liberation. Demi-gods, Angels, Silent Sages and countless spiritual thirsty Souls having been searching for this too.
This thirst is only quenched when you fall at the feet of the True Complete Guru (enlighter). This only happens with very good fortune.

Sometimes it can be an advantage to seek Sikhee from outside the Punjabi community as then you have fewer distractions.

I am not sure were you are on this path but the first and foremost part in your mind must be to acknowledge Guru Nanak Dev Jee as the True Enlighter. Once this is done or when this is achieved then everything else will fall into place.

It is good that you are looking into visiting a Gurdwara regularly. Unfortunately I am not from Burnaby so I can not advise you but at this stage is does not matter much. You will find that all the Gurdwaras will not be perfect in Maryada (code of conduct).
I would suggest you try to visit the Gurdwara were most of the local Sangat visits, proximity might also play a part in your decision.

At this stage in your path all that should concern you is to build a relationship with Guru Nanak Dev Jee. Your love will increase with each of your actions. Keeping your hair uncut will be the formal acknowledgement of this love on your part. The Love from Guru Jee will increase many fold after this step. There will be many challenges to this step and there after but when you’re receiving love from Guru Jee then these obstacles won't matter.

As you are coming from outside the Punjabi Community it might mean that Guru Jee’s blessings might be greater as you have had to walk further. However this needs to be controlled as I have seen people in the same situation who could not handle it and have been effected long term as they could not move to the next step.

You will find speaking to people in the Punjabi community confusing and probably a waste of time. Most of them are lost and don’t know where they are going so looking for directions from them might mean you get lost too.

My advice to you and this is from what has helped me is to walk to the Gurdwara reciting what ever you know in my case I only knew Mool Manter and Chaupey Sahib. When at the Gurdwara try to do as much seva as possible. The only seva you can do as a non Amritdharee is cleaning and Jorray(shoe) seva both these sevas have untold gifts behind them. I used to do cleaning/mopping the langar floor. It is only now that I realise the benefits it gave me. Try to Avoid speaking to anyone and only do what you need to(i.e seva, listening to keertan) and then walk back home.

Guru Sahib will then make doors open for you and everything will start falling in to place. Everything will happen according to what is pre ordained you will see and meet who are supposed to meet through you Karams.

Anyway I hope Guru Jee’s does Kirpa and bless you with his TRUE NAAM.

VahiGuru Jee Kaa Khalsa
VahiGuru Jee Kee Fateh

Posted by: Jarnail Singh "Arshi" Gyani (IP Logged)
Date: September 18, 2009 02:30AM

Brother Khalsa has given good advice. Its also good that you have access to the Internet...any questions that come up can be answered via the Forum. Not knowing the langauge can be a problem...slowly you will begin to understand whats happening around you.
I too wish you a warm welcome and may Guru Ji Bless us all...You will enjoy the experience of Sikhi..its vibrant !!

jrnYl isMG igAwnI "ArSI"

Posted by: newsikhi (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2009 05:27PM

Sorry everyone that I have not reponded to my posts for the past month as I have been tthrough a lot in the past month due to a relation break-up and a new apartment.

Anyway I visited the following gurdwaras and I discovered significant diferences between them

Canadian Ramgharia Society
People were friendly, however the president was not a bapitized Sikh.

Gurdwara Sahib Dasmesh Darbar
Conservative gurdwara, very friendly people and very committed to the Sikh faith

Khalsa Diwan Society
Liberal Gurdwara, I thought that some of the gurdwara leaders were a little rude

Nanaksar Gurdwara Gursikh Temple
Friendly people, but the display of images around the gurdwara seemed to contradict Sikh teaching on idol worship

Gurdwara Khalsa Darbar
Conservative Gurdwara, very friendly people

Akali Singh Sikh Society
Liberal Gurdwara, but very open people

Sikh Temple Sukhsagar
Very community orientated gurdwara

Shri Guru Ravidass Sabha Temple
Friendly people, seemed to be a gurdwara that is unlike most other gurdwara due to display of characters from Hindu mythology around the gurdwara, also one member told me that the Shri Guru Ravidass is the best gurdwara for anyone wanting to become a Sikh because the gurdwara belongs to a Sikh sect mostly composed of Dalits who are welcoming. I was also told to stay away from the Dashmesh Gurdwara because it is Jatt dominated

Posted by: Jarnail Singh "Arshi" Gyani (IP Logged)
Date: October 02, 2009 06:10AM

Dear Norman,
Gurfateh.

Dont give any thought to these comments. Gurdwara is the Doorway to the GUru you seek to follow...all other side "attractions" or "distractions" are just that...not that important. What is vital is that you get to interact with the GURU on your own terms...take one step towards the GURU and He takes a thousand steps towards YOU. That is my own personal experience and I am sure it will be yours in time.
IGNORE all "attractions and distractions"...concentrate and enjoy the Kirtan.katha.environemnt of the Gurru darbar, do some seva that you like..choose the seva that no one seems interested in..that way no one will bother you too much..my fav one is watering the plants/flowers/putting fertiliser..trimming them etc..others never bother about these plants..except complement the beautiful flowers..etc...most Sikhs just love washing utensils..serving langgar, sweeping the floors etc..so these sevas may be overcrowded...over populated..one of the best is also cleaning the shoes of the sangat..but I must admit i have never been able to do that..my internal haumaii is just too much..i cant take it to clean anyones shoes...and i always admire those who can do this...(secretly)...maybe one day i can do that..if Guru ji does kirpa on me...till then i water the plants..

jrnYl isMG igAwnI "ArSI"

Posted by: Dass (IP Logged)
Date: November 20, 2009 04:35PM

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Dear Norman

I have recently moved to Canada and currently living in New Westminister, I'm also looking to do Sangat and find out where there are regular kirtan darbars and Naam Simran programmes.

Would be great to get some input from GurSikhs who can advise.

Guru Fateh Parvaan

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib