ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Amrit Vela Nitnem - Panj Bania
Posted by: Manmander Singh (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2009 06:09AM

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh :)

I have a question someone posed to me at the Gurdwara last weekend, i struggled to answer it fully, (lack of knowledge on my part!) and therefore would be grateful if more learned Gursikhs to answer it.

Bhai Sahib asked:
We dont need to read the punj bania, they were not the bania read at original amrit sanchar, they were concocted by the Singh Sabha movement. You do not need to read them everyday and you can different bania.

PLEASE understand that i totally disagree with his line of argument, as i had replied

Whether these bania were read at original Amrit sanchar in my opinion is immaterial, Akaal Takht say read certain banis during Amrit Sanchar, then you do it, you cant argue with it.

They then went on to say why those 5 Bania?

i replied - because that was what was decided to be read at Amrit Sanchars. I then gave the example of katha i heard. In, i believe Sant Kartar Singh Jis katha, had heard that Punj Bania are read to prepare Amrit which rejuvenates the soul, like water to a flower, and these 5 are therefore needed to be read EVERYDAY to keep the soul rejuvenated, keep the flower alive.

With regards to not reading the paaht everyday, i said dont bother brushing teeth everyday. (also gave Japji Sahib - Pauri 20 as an example).

they were still unconvinced - and wished to argue over this point - i replied with Fateh and said - you read what Banis you want to do - and i will read the banis i want to.

BUT saying that - i am now curious of how these punj Bania came to be in the Amrit Vela Nitnem. I fully understand the importance of them and the need to do it, but would like a history lesson into why these particular banis as bare minimum. Please do not say you only have to do 3 banis in morning - i am sure punj bania are read at Akaal Takht when Amrit is prepared.

[Amrit Vela nitnem Punj Bania - JapJi Sahib, Jaap Sahib, Tva Prasad Swaiyai, Benti Chaupai and Anand Sahib]

1 - Why these 5 Banis? why not Asa Di War or Shabad Hazare or others.

2 - Were these read at Amrit Sanchar in 1699? (evidence if possible - that be great!)

3 - when was it decided to do these particular ones if they were not read at Amrit Sanchar of 1699.

4 - Are there Rehitnamas of which ones we should do every morning?

5 - Why are they read in this order (my mum was told off ages ago because they didnt read it in order, they changed and now do it in order but they forget the reason behind it).

If this topic has been discussed elsewhere on THIS forum please just send the link - i dont want to waste anyone's time in writing what has already been written.

Thank you in advance

Manmander Singh, UK

Re: Amrit Vela Nitnem - Panj Bania
Posted by: JugrajSingh (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2009 09:50AM

Singhs have passed down rehit seena baseena. From original punj pyare onwards to those in todays time who follow guru's hukam.

That being said, who would one believe? A rehitvan Singh or a kala afghana Singh?

Who would you trust?

Why did Guru sahib choose to give us a kacchera of particular style and why a kirpan of a specific style. why not a double edge dagger or even a gun?

These type of questions lead nowhere as no one can know the mind of guru sahib.

Do you ever hear of a soldier questioning why he has to run 30 km and why not 25 or 27. Do you ever hear a soldier questioning why he has to wear a uniform and why he can't wear sweat pants?

The code and discipline are essential for unity. There is no room for questioning these things.

Posted by: ਸਿੰਘ (IP Logged)
Date: July 19, 2009 08:40AM

The Bhatt Vahis have have written Jap Jee, Jaap Sahib, Savayey, Choupay Sahib and Anand Sahib as the Banee that was recited at the initial Amrit Sanchaar of 1699. The account of this is written in the Sakhee

ਸਾਖੀ ਖਾਂਡੇ ਕੀ ਪਾਹੁਲ ਦੇਨੇ ਕੀ ਚਾਲੀ

The following is written

ਅੰਤਰਯਾਮੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਾਂ............... , ਮਨ ਬਿਰਤੀ ਕੋ ਇਕਾਗਰ ਕਰੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਜਪੁ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਪਾਠ ਕਰੀ ਗਏ I ਉਪਰੰਤ ਜਾਪ, ਸਵੈਯੇ ਚਉਪਈ ਕਾ ਉਚਾਰਣ ਕਰ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਨੰਦ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਕਾ ਪਾਠ ਕੀਆ I

Posted by: Manmander Singh (IP Logged)
Date: July 20, 2009 06:26AM

Thank you SINGH for the reply. That has answered the question well enough for me!

Thanks

Posted by: Jarnail Singh "Arshi" Gyani (IP Logged)
Date: September 17, 2009 10:28PM

The SRM..REHIT is for a purpose..to UNIFY US.
Otherwise it will be total chaos...each one reading what he/she likes and when.
So follow the Sikh Rehat Maryada s given by the Panj Piayaras without questions/doubts. IF one doubts..then one SINKS..as there is DUBIDHA !!
The Panj in the Tabiah of the Guru garnth Sahib Ji maharaj are the ONLY AUTHORITY to instruct us on what REHIT to keep. Period.

jrnYl isMG igAwnI "ArSI"

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib