ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Sree Guru Arjan Dev Jee - The King Of Shaheeds
Posted by: admin (IP Logged)
Date: June 21, 2009 10:21AM

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5026/derasahiblahore.jpgGurdwara Dehra Sahib Lahore, Shaheedee Asthan Guru Arjan Dev Jee

We were going to post a few words in remembrance of the shaheedee Gurpurab of Sree Guru Arjan Dev Jee on 16th June but due to circumstances beyond our control the website was not operational last week.
The Akhand Paat Bhog for the Shaheedee Gurpurab was done this morning at Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib and we thought it would still be nice to mention a few words in remembrance of the Gurpurab.

First of all it would be important to mention that Guru Sahib is beyond rebirths and therefore the Shaheedee term used is not used in the normal sense. The purpose of this Shaheedee was to set an example to Gursikhs as to how to react to hardship and torture. The extent to which truth was to be upheld was presented. Sath is essentially Akaal Purkh and therefore more important than this body or world itself which is false.

Guru Arjan Dev Jee said he did not feel even a bit of pain while enduring the torture given to him “ਦੁੱਖ ਰਤਾ ਵੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ I ਸਰੀਰ ਤੇ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਝੂਠਾ ਹੈ I ਆਤਮਾ ਨਿਰਲੇਪ ਹੈਂ : "ਆਤਮਾ ਸਦਾ ਅਸੰਗ ਹੈ I ਤਨ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਪਰਪੰਚ I Guru Jee said that he was enduring this pain to give an example to those pracharaks of true Naam. So when they are in hardship/pain they would feel sweetness in the will of Akaal Purkh. They should not blame or speak ill of WaheGuru and should not fall from their faith. Spiritual powers should not be used to protect the body.

Guru Jee’s example of shaheedee was to set the standard of Sikhee faith and Gursikh’s have ever since remembered Guru Arjan Dev Jee’s example whenever they have faced difficult times. Guru Sahib truly became the King of the Shaheeds as all Gursikh shaheeds have looked up to him for inspiration ever since.

It is important to note that some historians have interpreted the last worldly day of Guru Arjan Dev Jee wrongly, some have said that it was Guru Jee that wanted to do ishnaan at the river Ravi and have said that he basically could take no more. There are others that have referred it to some sort of suicide by Guru Jee. All these versions don’t add up and do not make sense.

Infact Guru Arjan Dev Jee was thrown into the river Ravi after five days of torture. Bhai Kesar Singh Sheabar has written in Bansavalee nama :

ਸੋ ਬਧੇ ਹੋਏ ਹੀ ਦਿਤੇ ਨਦੀ ਰੁੜਾਏ I

Munshi Sohan Lal and Rattan Singh Bhangoo have also said Guru Arjan Dev Jee was thrown into the river Ravi.

Looking back at the life of Guru Arjan Dev Jee we can see many achievements and greatness. There is not enough praise or compliments that can be placed in one post or by a individual like daas.

However I thought that it might be a good time to reflect on some of the advice Guru Arjan Dev Jee gave through out his life. The following is one incident of such advice.

Once Bhai Laloo, Bhai Baloo and Bhai Hardas Jee asked Guru Arjan Dev Jee how one can liberate this life. In response Guru Arjan Dev Jee said that their are Five actions which if done then you could claim that your life is successful.
The Five are :

1) ਹਰ ਕਿਸੇ ਨਾਲ ਹੱਸ ਕੇ ਮਿਲਣਾ – Happily greet everyone you see (Only the ones that are happy internally can truly show this happiness externally. One who sees the Joth in everyone and accepts Akaal Purkh’s play, that person alone can represent this feeling any other state will show falseness.)

2) ਮਿੱਠਾ ਬੋਲਣਾ – Speak Sweetly (Do not speak rudely, with anger and hate. Someone that speaks sweetly will naturally not do ninda. There is nothing sweeter than Naam/Gurbanee itself, the saying of Naam/Gurbanee will bring sweetness to the speaker and the listener)

3) ਵੰਡ ਖਾਵਣਾ – Share what ever is yours with others.

4) ਨਿਵ ਚਲਣਾ – Live Humbly

5) ਸੰਗਤ ਨਿੱਤ ਕਰਨੀ – Do Sangat daily ( Do sangat daily of Guru Jee through Naam simran - reading/listening Gurbanee and also do sangat of GurSikhs )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 03:08AM by admin.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib