ਰਹਿਣੀਰਹੈਸੋਈਸਿਖਮੇਰਾ॥ ਓੁਹਸਾਹਿਬਮੈਉਸਕਾਚੇਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Origin of Gurmukhi script
Posted by: blacklion (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2009 12:11PM

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Guru Pyare Jio,

A few days ago I was reading a book "A History of Punjabi Literature" by Sant Singh Sekhon and Kartar Singh Duggal, and was left confused. Until then I had the impression that Gurmukhi script was formed by Guru Angad Dev Ji, but this book is saying it is not so. In the short article on Gurmukhi script by Kartar Singh Duggal, the following things are being said, if I understand correctly:

- That Gurmukhi script must have existed even before Guru Nanak Dev Ji's time as Punjabi is such an old language (estimated to have existed from around year 1000 BC). It is argued that Bhagat Sheikh Farid Ji was composing in Punjabi in the twelfth century and it was already "a fairly well developed" language then, so it must have had a script of it's own already. However there is no actual proof given for this. Also, Bhagat Sheik Farid Ji was very probably writing in Arabic script as they were muslim.

- However more interesting note is that in Raag Aasaa in "Pattee" Guru Nanak Dev Ji has given an exposition on 35 alphabets which are exactly the same as Gurmukhi alphabets. This would indicate that either Guru Nanak Dev Ji formed the alphabets or they were in existance beforehand. Possibility is of course too that Guru Nanak Dev Ji used a different script to write the alphabets.

- Note is also made of "Pran Sangli" which is said to be a composition of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and written in "Turki script". It is said that it is being disputed if this is work of Guru Sahib.

- Another argument given for Gurmukhi script being in existance before Guru Sahib's time is that 22 out of 35 of the alphabets can be traced in their "primordial forms" in old edicts. But it is apparent that there is no proof of these alphabet being in existance as a whole before Guru Sahib's time. And there seems to be no edicts written in Gurmukhi script from before Guru Sahib.

I am feeling a bit baffled after reading this and, to my shame, a bit "attacked" as well, as I am feeling in my heart that this script were given by Guru Sahib themselves. As there are some serious Gursikh researchers on this board, I am hoping to hear the truth on this matter. I admit that this is hardly a life and death issue, or possibly even an issue of much relevance. It is clear that Guru Sahib gives all authorship to Vaheguru. But thinking more, Guru Sahib would have never altered the truth either or endorsed such action. I am posting this in hope of something fruitful. Please forgive me for any mistakes.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Re: Origin of Gurmukhi script
Posted by: krishan (IP Logged)
Date: February 09, 2009 10:21AM

I am no great scholar of punjabi script, dear blacklion. But take heart of one thing. DOn't go searching for justification of your faith in the MAYA. MAYA is full of all kinds of learning..everything is shades of gray..be-anth. sochai soch na hovai...je sochai lakh vaar. Realize that all learning is but one step to STILL MORE nuanced learning. Also there are many motives for what people say. Almighty did not make the world SO simple!! Our beginners Japji Sahib says there are in fact THREE minds: mat, mann aur budh. All three are required to be in fit condition for enlightenment. From woldly ways you will find "mann" is where all our worldly time is spent....in transactions..in learning "bodies of logic" like math..science...etc. But you will find "mann" is entirely ungrounded in many ways. literally anything is possible in life of "man". Logic can justify anything! Look at the world around. EVERYTHING in it has its logic! Look at the "law courts" and their bodies of law. Look at the society created by the application of so much technology...true much is good from it ...but it also has so much distorting use...MAYA is never simple
So read for knowledge but don't suffer crises, remember the reading is feeding mann, but there is also mat and budh!

I in turn have even more simple question: Are all Sri Guru Granth Sahibs written in Larreedarri style? Why is Larreedarri script style used? Was original non-Religious use of Gurmukhi also in larreedarri style?

thank you

Re: Origin of Gurmukhi script
Posted by: blacklion (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2009 01:52PM

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Thank you for your words, Krishan Ji. You are making very much sense. I do get caught up too easily in such secondary issues. But it also just irks me badly that there is so much untruthfulness going on all around. And the thing is, if lies are being spread as truth in the panth, which should be holy, it eats away from the real truth even. Once you find out something you always believed bright-eyed is not so, it makes you question a lot of things you should not. But yes, there is so much truth in the words you said. It was really good, thanks. Through Gurmat we should be able to find the beautiful charan. Pray we all can stay there close and see through maya.

I do not have answers to your questions. But I think all Saroops of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj used to be Lareevar until 20th century. I have seen a modern publishing company advertise that they were the first to do pad-chhed of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj. Somebody please correct me, if I'm wrong.

I still feel in my heart/intuition that Guru Sahib themself gave the Gurmukhi script to the world. But if they did not, I do not care at all. To me they have still given it. They have put all the meaning and beauty in those alphabets regardless. I guess that is where it's at. Vaheguru knows best. Bhul Chuk Maaf Karni

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib