ਚੁਕਾਰਅਜ਼ਹਮਹਹੀਲਤੇਦਰਗੁਜ਼ਸ਼ਤ॥ਹਲਾਲਅਸਤਬੁਰਦਨਬਸ਼ਮਸ਼ੀਰਦਸਤ॥੨੨॥ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ੧੦॥)

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

sikh youth
Posted by: mandeep (IP Logged)
Date: September 17, 2007 02:21PM

many sikh youth lacking knowledge about sikhi and moving away from sikhi; solutions to this problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2007 03:17PM by admin.

Re: sikh youth
Posted by: SarablohSinghnee (IP Logged)
Date: September 19, 2007 03:45AM

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ke fateh

Its really important to know about our rich history. Youth today (and I include myself in this) knows very little about our history. How can we expect to move forward if you dont know where we come from? Its very often about going back to basis and it's so easy now in this world of technology - we have information at our fingertips. It can even start by reading one sakhi a week or something and then sharing that sakhi with your sisters & brothers.

Also one thing that I am firm believer in is "lead by example" I think this statement speaks for itself :)

bhul chuk maaf jeeo...

Posted by: ramsar (IP Logged)
Date: September 19, 2007 09:52AM

daas thinks that as soon as we turn kids away from stimulants such as tv music and bad sangat, the kids will be able to use their minds and think for themselves for the first time.

we are zombies who are being told what to do, and therefore implanting manmat by these stimulants..they do not allow us to be at peace.

Date: September 19, 2007 10:35PM

we need sikh leaders real once to start with. Current gurdwara leaders are hypocrites and just horrible leaders as we can see with whats happining in the community now.

Posted by: SENGH (IP Logged)
Date: September 20, 2007 01:18PM

in reply to some of your messages

Sarabloh Singhnee i think thats a great idea!!

ramsar- the reason turning kids away from tv music etc wont work is because kid are going to want to know why your doing that for example if you were to just turn the off and not allow your kids to watch it they going to question why and if you were to reply "its to help improve your sikhi" or however you would explain it, it would make sikhi come across as a millitant religion and majorly turn kids away

Mandeep- i think your right there are a lack of religios leaders and i also agree that current gurdwara leaders may be hypocrites, now the way to overcome the whole problem is for US to become the educators and teach kids what sikhi is i think this would help turn kids towards sikhi

Bhull Chuck Maaf!!!

Posted by: Khalsaspirit (IP Logged)
Date: September 20, 2007 03:21PM

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Khalsa jio,

Well the problem of today is that most SIKHS (Amritdhari) thinks that Sikhi only lies in Gurudwaras and when they are out they can do what others do. No doubt Gurudwara Sahib is the place to have SIKHYA (teachings) of Guru Sahib but those have to be practice at home, at work etc. For kids only parents can be helpful. If the parents are not practicner Sikh from Amritvela to Keeratn Sohila then no matter what you say to kids not going to make any difference. Parents should keep in mind that each Sikh's home is a Taksal where they practice Sikhi as well molding their children into this fold but if parents are unaware of Guru Sahib's teachings then not only kids they will too go away from Sikhi any way.

The beauty of Khalsa (Sikh) nation is that it has every resource available to overcome or lessen the effect kaljug. For example, If kids like to watch TV then give them the DVD, VHS or CD to watch which has Sikh history, Gurbani etc. Now it is even easier there are numerous DVDs avilable for example SAHIBJADEY, RISE OF KHALSA etc show these to kids definatly they will love to watch those and they will learn a lot and automatically there interest will develop to learn about Sikhi more. Let them watch keertan videos. There are numerous keertan videos and audio CDs available. Kids love to do Vaheguru chant with keertan. It is just a matter of how parents expose them with Sikhi. If parents thinks just Go to Gurudwara on weekend or everyday moring and just listen to Bhai ji's katha and thats it then forget about inspiring kids unless they have POORAB KARAM which will bring them into Sikhi fold. So the role of parents is very much involved for raising a good, sincere and GURSIKH Child.

Guru Mehar Karay

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Date: September 20, 2007 04:53PM

you know what were i believe they need to start, community leaders need to focus on the parants and the youth get programs going that will attract youth like sports for the youth generation and start usuing the media to tell parants how important it is to build relationships with their children, first thing first parants need to build proper relationship with their children rather then just working all the time and if the parants can't teach sikhi themselves then thats were gurdwaras need to encourage parants to take the time to take their kids to the gurdwara were good morals sikh history and sikhi can be teached. If kids have trouble understanding punjabi then have ppl teach in english so when they start developing an interest they can learn punjabi along with it.

Parants need to stop playing double standards for example favour the boy over the girl, and even though this is a punjabi culture thing we need to treat them equal rather then celeberate when the boy is born and cry when the girl is born, fathers need to build good relationships with their daughters. because what i noticed for the sikh girls ive met who have good relationship with their parants are smart and good moraled and the girls who lack this relationship with their parants are the once who are bar sluts and bar stars wearing short skirts and sleeping around but reasion we have so many sikh girls behaving like this is cuz parants don't take the time to invest time in their kids and this double standard of were boys are favoured over girls.

With this double standard of were boys are favoured over girls we have boys who are spoiled rotten don't know how to work and are dropping out of school joining gangs and doing drugs and while parants spoil the boy same time parants don't have the relationship with the boy and the boy has no one to go to when he feeling depressed angry or has low self esteem

you would be shocked at how many sikh youth have low self esteem and their different kinds of low self esteem why boys go around trying to be gangsters so they can get attention and fit in and girls acting like sluts so guys will compliment them and they can feel attractive even though the guys just using them for sex and the solution to this is for parants to build relationships with their kids and to trust their kids rather then for example keep the daughter at home like a prisoner so she sneaks out behind their backs, but yea have a relationship with their kids put their kids in sports to build self esteem and have open communication were they can talk to their kids about anything.

Parants need to relise now a days because you tell a kid to behave a certain way their not going to now a days kids don't take orders from parants and they'll rebel and do stuff behind their parants back thats why parants have to listen to their kids about their passions what they enjoy doing what would help with their self confidence and take time to build trust with their kids so they don't keep them at home like prisioners and have their kids rebel and do stuff behind their backs.

You would be shocked actually you shouldn't be shocked but how many sikh youth do you see with turbans who come from family's were both parants are baptised gursikh's yet their kids who have turbans go around drinking smoking lieing doing drugs and thats because these gursikh parants don't have a relationship with their kids and are to busy ordering them around telling them what to do rather then listening to their kids and trusting their decisions i mean if you raised your kid well you should be able to trust them and thats why many of these kids as well go behind their parants back's and cut their hair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2007 12:09AM by mandeep.

Date: September 21, 2007 12:10AM

i want more sikh youth to get involved with sports to start off with i think its a great way to build disipline confidence and motivation in kids.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib