ਰਹਿਣੀਰਹੈਸੋਈਸਿਖਮੇਰਾ॥ ਓੁਹਸਾਹਿਬਮੈਉਸਕਾਚੇਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Manmohan Singh takes up Turban ban by evil nation - France
Posted by: News (IP Logged)
Date: September 30, 2008 07:17PM

Paris: Unfazed by French President Nicholas Sarkozy's blunt assertion that the Sikhs have to respect the law of the land, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday took up with his host the issue of ban on Sikh students wearing turbans in schools.

The issue figured during the summit talks between Singh and Sarkozy.

After their talks, Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon said the French President told the Prime Minister that he was looking into the issue.

The President at a joint press conference with Singh on Monday made it clear that rules were same for all citizens without exception and Sikhs should also respect that.

France had imposed a ban in 2004 under which Sikh students were prohibited from wearing turbans to schools, a decision that incurred world-wide protests from the community.

The Prime Minister told the French President that Sikh community delegations have met him to voice their concern on the matter.

Insisting that France is not discriminating against Sikhs wearing turbans, Sarkozy said that he expects the community to respect the customs and traditions of the French people.

From Tribuneindia.com

Turban ban
Sarkozy promises fresh look
Tribune News Service

Paris, September 30
The sensitivity of the Sikh community over restriction on wearing turban in French schools figured prominently during talks between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and French President Nicolas Sarkozy here on Tuesday.

According to foreign secretary Shiv Shanker Menon, Singh conveyed to the French leader that members of the community have approached him to urge him to use his good offices and get the restriction lifted.

Sarkozy, without committing himself, promised to look into the matter afresh.

Yesterday in Marseilles after the 9th India-EU summit, the French President had categorically stated that laws of the land could not be changed for the Sikhs, virtually ruling out the possibility of lifting the ban on wearing turban in schools.

Re: Manmohan Singh takes up Turban ban by evil nation - France
Posted by: hopeless (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2008 01:56AM

GET OUT OF FRANCE!!!.....it is simple as that...........you choose.......maya or sikhi.......come to the UK

Posted by: News (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2008 05:08AM

Turbans are an issue: Singh tells Sarkozy

On Board PM's Special Aircraft: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday said French President Nicolas Sarkozy had told him that he had an "open mind" on the issue of Sikhs wearing turbans in France and would have a relook at it.

Dr Singh, who the was speaking to mediapersons while returning after a 10-day tour of US and France, said he had told Sarkozy that the turban was a very essential part of the Sikh way of life.

He said he raised the issue with the French President during their bilateral summit meeting at the Elysee Palace in Paris on Tuesday.

"I did raise (the issue) with Mr Sarkozy. I had raised it in Delhi also. I raised it again and he said we have an open mind and will look at it," the Prime Minister said.

Sarkozy was the chief guest at the Republic Day function this year.

Sikhs should respect rules of France: Sarkozy

Ban on Asian symbols: Westside story of bias

Dr Singh added, "Mr Sarkozy had an open mind in the light of what I had said. He said he will have a relook at it."

At present, Sikh students in government-funded schools in France are not allowed to wear turbans.

France had imposed a ban in 2004 under which Sikh students were prohibited from wearing turbans to schools, a decision that incurred world-wide protests from the community.

The Prime Minister said the problem in France is that when Sikh children go to school, they are discouraged from wearing their turbans and when they seek identity cards, they are asked to remove them.

He also told the French President that Sikh community delegations have met him to voice their concern on the matter.

"These are some inconveniences that Sikhs face," he added.

Meanwhile, insisting that France is not discriminating against Sikhs wearing turbans, Sarkozy said that he expects the community to respect the customs and traditions of the French people.

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2008 07:10AM

It's unbelievable that the president of France in the 21st century can be so brazenly racist and unfair. Right on the face of turban-wearing Manmohan Singh, this uncivilized man says that Sikhs are welcome to France but their turbans are not. I agree with Hopeless jee. Sikhs should get out of France but this case should be fought in the courts of European Union and the hypocrisy of the French should be exposed in the world.

When France was under attack from Germany during the world wars, Sikhs wearing turbans gave their lives to protect it. This ungrateful nation has rewarded the Sikhs by banning their turbans. I sincerely pray to Vaheguru that this nation be taught a lesson for this and may they need Sikhs one more time. Let their pride be crushed by Sikhs becoming their saviors. Let turban wearing Sikhs come to their rescue. Let them beg Sikhs to come to France with their turbans on. I personally feel for this issue because my grandfather fought in France during the first world war.

Kulbir Singh

Posted by: M Singh (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2008 09:32AM

"Sarkozy said that he expects the community to respect the customs and traditions of the French people."
-
Of course this type of statment is very much undemocratic and foolish for a head of the state. This seems to be a statement in tune with RSS men in Bombay.

Date: October 02, 2008 01:57AM

Sikhs of france have an opportunity to immigrate to french speaking Montreal in Cananda......take this as a sign to move on........i once spent less than 24 hours in France and had a very bad experience as a mona let alone a turbaned sikh and i swore i would never step foot on french soil again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: October 02, 2008 10:21AM

Gurfateh

We can think of economic bycott or burning of french things.

Date: October 02, 2008 02:35PM

vijaydeepo singh ji.........economic boycott?.....well Manmohan Singh thinks otherwise as Billions of ruppess are going their way for nuclear reactors.....and besides i like my saag with garlic to much to make such sacrafices :)
as to burning french things......this is anti-gurmatt as it is nothing but Krod (anger) and a bit to taliban as any civilised person would see it as childish,stupid and ignorant......besides i over cook my garlic bread anyway and that hasn't shocked france into submission yet so it won't acheive anything anyway.

Date: October 03, 2008 06:11AM

the hilarious thing is that sikhs would probably be allowed to wear their turbans unbothered in places like afghanistan and iran

Posted by: Bhopinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: October 05, 2008 05:57AM

Navjot and hopeless ji

France was occupied by germans in 2nd world war ,Degaul the famous french after whose name paris international airport is named ran away like famous hindu general kaul .

The english picked him up .70% of the french populus started working for the germans only about 10% were resisting that to cause the brits were backing them.

The sikhs were part of the british army at that time and entered occupied france as saviours .Their are numorous pics ofthat timei will post them if i could.

Also the sikhs should remmember this is why we need KHALISTAN

Posted by: xzik101 (IP Logged)
Date: October 05, 2008 11:17AM

I agree with Bhopinder Singh Jee. The French couldn't anything against the Germans. The so called "resistance" is a joke when you compare it to the level of resistance displayed by a small nation of Serbia by the Serbian nationalists. The French pretty much accepted defeat and were ready to live as slaves for the Germans. Now these cowards are trying to act "tough" by restricting religous freedom of minorities. They are trying to do this to the Muslims, not realising that they are just going to make the Muslims even more firm in their religion.

Their fight against Muslims unfortunately has made the Sikhs into indirect victims of this policy.

Personally I think the Sikhs of France should just leave France and move to the UK or Canada thus stengthening the Sikhs of UK and Canada. I know that the Quebec province in Canada which is French encourage immigration from France. So maybe the Sikhs of France can think of moving to Canada. I know the Sikhs of Canada would welcome it.

Date: October 06, 2008 02:22AM

Gurfateh

France is not alloweing the head scrf etc. of Muslim Sisters etc.Islamic nations have been able to convince them either.

This all started due to head scaf etc. and we are the useless sufferers.

Instead of doing the Hizrat or emigration.We should do more preaching in there.Make more native french as Sikhs.Akal will help us.

There is need to send more Sikh preachers in france and making native french converted to Sikhism.Akal Bless.

Date: October 06, 2008 06:41AM

you can't even convert punjabis to the path of sikhism these days....let alone the french

Posted by: RSinghNY (IP Logged)
Date: October 06, 2008 07:56AM

I have visited the graveyards of SIkhs that were burried or cremated there(I don't know what they did), but they have tombstones of Sikhs with the Khanda on it and their names and ranks. There are not just 1 place like this but many.

French people are the most 'akritgan' people. Only other people I can think of like that are the Hindus of India.

Above people are right, without having a own Sikh homeland we'll always be begging other countries for rights and our religious practice. Whether it be the turban, Shri Sahib or other sikh practices. I don't think the Indian gov't has the power to help or do much in the matter. Probably not even the drive either.

Posted by: NanakNeechKaheVeechaar (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2009 04:52PM

vahegurooo

SRI AKAAAL JEE SAHAAE

maharaaaj will do kirpaa =)

Posted by: Jarnail Singh "Arshi" Gyani (IP Logged)
Date: October 02, 2009 05:59AM

Guru Piayario Jios,
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki Fateh.

Actually no one is Suhird..serious in solving this issue. All involved..Badals govt..SGPC..Akal takhat Jathedars, Delhi Govt...Indian Embassy in France..etc etc all have their secret agenda...and each has its own axe to grind...and the poor French Sikhs are left on their own...resources. Whoever was involved..made the problem worse...
Times change...Sikhs fought in Europe..sacrificed...and are forgotten...
Sikhs fought to get India independence...times changed..and the Indians Forgot
The Tragedy is we are now weak and cannot get justice...we must look at ourselves, strengthen our selves..and then we will get justice..Remember the Jews got Justice after 2000 Years...but get it they did...so will we...it may well be faster than the Jews.

jrnYl isMG igAwnI "ArSI"

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib