ਹੁਕਮੇਜੰਮਣੁਹੁਕਮੇਮਰਣਾ॥੨॥
ਨਾਮੁਤੇਰਾਮਨਤਨਆਧਾਰੀ॥
ਨਾਨਕਦਾਸਬਖਸੀਸਤੁਮਾਰੀ॥੩॥੮॥

-------------------------

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਜੀੳ,

questions/comments:

- ਨਾਨਕਦਾਸਬਖਸੀਸਤੁਮਾਰੀ॥੩॥੮॥ - this panktee has been translated as:

'This is Your blessing to Nanak Your slave'.

i thought that when ਨਾਨਕ appears in this manner (mukta) it means that Maharaaj Jee is addressing Themselves directly and not addressing themselves in the third person (ਨਾਨਕੁ). the translation above has it that Maharaaj Jee is addressing themselves in the third person despite this viyakarN rule...is this belief of mine incorrect?

however, if this is the case, shouldn't the above translation be:

'Oh slave Nanak [understand], [that] this is your blessing/gift [Vaheguroo]'

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Re: hukamnama sahib - 23/9/08
Posted by: Bijla Singh (IP Logged)
Date: September 23, 2008 01:44PM

Aunkar is missing on the word "Daas" in last pankti. The translation seems wrong to me and I would translate it as follows (which might be wrong):

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਕਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ - ਹੇ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ, ਇਹ (ਨਾਮੁ ਜੋ ਮੇਰੇ ਤਨ ਤੇ ਮਨ ਦਾ ਆਧਾਰ ਹੈ) ਤੇਰੀ ਹੀ ਬਖਸ਼ਿਸ ਹੈ ।

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: September 24, 2008 09:52AM

I agree with the meanings that Veer Bijla Singh has done. The word Nanak is mostly mukta because it is being addressed but this is not the case all the time. There half a dozen rules of why a noun goes mukta and one rule that applies to word 'Nanak' is that when there is a presence of a preposition after this word, it goes mukta.

In this case, it seems like Nanak-Daas are together as compound word and this is why the aunkad of 'Nanak' has disappeared.

ਬਾਣੀ ਅਗਮ ਅਗਾਧ ਬੋਧ ਹੈ ਜੀ। ਗਲਤੀਆਂ ਬਖਸ਼ ਲੈਣੀਆਂ ਜੀ।

Kulbir Singh

Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: September 29, 2008 06:55AM

khalsa jeeo,

re: this du-panktee from so dar rehraas sahib:

ਗਾਵਨਿਤੁਧਨੋਖੰਡਮੰਡਲਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡਾਕਰਿਕਰਿਰਖੇਤੇਰੇਧਾਰੇ॥
ਹੋਰਿਕੇਤੇਤੁਧਨੋਗਾਵਨਿਸੇਮੈਚਿਤਿਨਆਵਨਿਨਾਨਕੁਕਿਆਬੀਚਾਰੇ॥

the translation provided is:

They alone sing of You, who are pleasing to Your Will. Your devotees are imbued with Your Sublime Essence.
So many others sing of You, they do not come to mind. O NANAK, HOW CAN I think of them all?

what is the viyakarN-related exception here which has meant that instead of Maharaaj Jee referring to themselves in the third-person (as the aunkharD underneath the last letter of ਨਾਨਕੁ usually indicates), They have addressed Themselves? or is the translation wrong? should it be:

What can Nanak offer in the way of thoughts [regarding them]?

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: September 29, 2008 11:55AM

Veer Atma Singh jeeo, the English translation is incorrect. The word ਨਾਨਕੁ has an aunkad in the end. For this reason, it can never be the addressed word. The aunkad would have been removed if the word ਨਾਨਕੁ had been addressed. Your translation is correct.

ਬਾਣੀ ਅਗਮ ਅਗਾਧ ਬੋਧ ਹੈ ਜੀ। ਗਲਤੀਆਂ ਬਖਸ਼ ਲੈਣੀਆਂ ਜੀ।

Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib