ਰਹਿਣੀਰਹੈਸੋਈਸਿਖਮੇਰਾ॥ ਓੁਹਸਾਹਿਬਮੈਉਸਕਾਚੇਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Saa Dhan or Saadhan - Padd Shedd Correction
Posted by: Bijla Singh (IP Logged)
Date: July 24, 2008 01:42PM

In Bareh Maha Tukhari, first two lines of 2nd Pauri are as follows:

baabeehaa prio bolae kokil baaneeaa ||

The rainbird cries out, ""Pri-o! Beloved!"", and the song-bird sings the Lord's Bani.

saa dhhan sabh ras cholai a(n)k samaaneeaa ||

The soul-bride enjoys all the pleasures, and merges in the Being of her Beloved.

The above padd shedd is based on Prof. Sahib Singh. In his teeka I couldn't understand the meanings properly so I looked up the word "Cholai" in Mahan Kosh and found another padd shedd of the same panktee as

"sadhhan sabh ras cholai"

I would like some gursikhs to do veechar on both padd shedds and explain the meanings of the panktees.

Re: Saa Dhan or Saadhan - Padd Shedd Correction
Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: July 25, 2008 06:50AM

It is true that 'sa' is used as a pronoun and it means 'that' but here what would it mean be 'that woman'? So the correct paath is 'sadhan' together, without padd-chheding 'sa' and 'dhan'. Sadhan too means woman and this word has been used in Gurbani numerous times for woman.

In my humble opinion sadhan is one word as opposed to the padd-chhed sa-dhan. Those who do padd-chhed interpret it as 'that istree or that woman'. Dhan means woman. The problem is that you can use the padd-chhed sa dhan only if there is reference to a particular woman here. Sadhan itself means woman and sadhan means good woman with 'sa' or 'su' being the prefix for goodness. Sadhan means good woman.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Date: July 25, 2008 01:17PM

Okay undeerstood. Then what does the second panktee mean?

Date: July 25, 2008 01:57PM

Veer Bijla Singh jeeo,

Guru kee Baani is Agam Agaadh Bodh. At the time I wrote my previous post, I had a different understanding of this pauri of Baramaha from Tukhari Chhant but now after doing more vichaar of this pauri, I believe the correct paath should be 'sa dhan' in this particular case. This does not apply to numerous other places where the correct paath is 'sadhan' together, without padd-chhed.

Let's do vichaar of the pankitis in question:

ਬਾਬੀਹਾ ਪ੍ਰਿਉ ਬੋਲੇ ਕੋਕਿਲ ਬਾਣੀਆ ॥

(ਜੋ ਜੀਵ ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਇਸ ਤਰਾਂ ਸਿਫਤ ਸਾਲਾਹ ਰੂਪੀ ਬੋਲ ਬੋਲੇ ਜਿਵੇਂ) ਬਾਬੀਹਾ (ਬੈਰਾਗ ਵਿਚ)‘ਪ੍ਰਿਉ ਪ੍ਰਿਉ’ ਬੋਲਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਕੋਇਲ ਮਿਠਾ ਬੋਲਦੀ ਹੈ।

ਸਾ ਧਨ ਸਭਿ ਰਸ ਚੋਲੈ ਅੰਕਿ ਸਮਾਣੀਆ ॥

ਉਹ ਜੀਵ-ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ (ਜੋ ਪਹਿਲੀ ਪੰਕਤੀ ਵਿਚ ਬਿਆਨ ਕੀਤੀ ਗਈ ਹੈ), ਸਭ ਰਸ ਮਾਣਦੀ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਗਲੇ (ਅੰਕਿ) ਲੱਗ ਕੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਪਤੀ ਵਿਚ ਸਮਾ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ।

ਹਰਿ ਅੰਕਿ ਸਮਾਣੀ ਜਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਭਾਣੀ ਸਾ ਸੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਨਾਰੇ ॥

ਹਰੀ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਪਤੀ ਦੇ ਅੰਕ ਨਾਲ ਲਗ ਕੇ ਉਹ (ਸਾ) ਸੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਵਿਚ ਸਮਾਉਂਦੀ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੂੰ ਚੰਗੀ (ਭਾਉਂਦੀ) ਹੈ।

From the first pankiti, Siri Guru jee state very important things to do while doing Sifat-Salaah (praise, Naam Japna, Baani da paath karna) – to speak in bairaag as the Babeeha bird utters ‘priyo priyo’ and to speak as sweetly as the nightingale speaks. In other words, one should do naam abhyaas in bairaag and sweetly. I guess, saying Naam sweetly would mean to say it in love. Naam said in bairaag and in pure love would be received sweetly by Pritam-Pyaara Vaheguru.

Now to explain why I now think that ‘sa dhan’ should be padd-chhed in this particular pankiti. In the first pankiti, there is a condition that the jeev-istree should say out Vaheguru with as bairaag as Babeeha and as sweetly as the nightingale. In the second pankiti, naturally, the word ‘sa’ (meaning that) would come before ‘dhan’ (meaning woman). That could have been used only if in the previous pankiti, there was a mention of a particular woman. In this case there is a mention of this particular woman who japps naam with bairaag and sweetness. The use of ‘sa’ in the meanings of ‘that’ is further consolidated when we look at the third pankiti where ‘sa’ comes before ‘suhaagan’. In this case too ‘that’ is being referred to the Gurmukh Jeev-Istree that merges in Vaheguru because of Naam Kamaayee with bairaag and love.

Gurbani is agam agaadh bodh. Siri Guru jee alone knows the correct vichaar of Gurbani. This is just a meagre attempt to understand Satguru jee’s baani.

Bhul chuk dee maafi.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Date: July 30, 2008 09:38AM

What does the word "cholai" mean in second panktee? Does it mean Chugnaa or Jholee (Cholee)?

Date: July 31, 2008 07:31AM

Cholai over here I think means consuming or eating.

Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib