"math thhorree saev gavaaeeai"

in sikhitothemax its translation is given as -

But through small-mindedness, we forfeit the merits of selfless service. ||10||

Can sangat please do more veechar on this pankti

Dhannvaad

Re: veechar on this pankti- "math thhorree saev gavaaeeai"
Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: July 08, 2008 06:58AM

When I had first heard this pankiti, I too done vichaar of this pankiti with gursikhs. This is the 10th pauri of Siri Asa kee Vaar. The whole pauri is as follows:

ਦਾਨੁ ਮਹਿੰਡਾ ਤਲੀ ਖਾਕੁ ਜੇ ਮਿਲੈ ਤ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਲਾਈਐ ॥
ਕੂੜਾ ਲਾਲਚੁ ਛਡੀਐ ਹੋਇ ਇਕ ਮਨਿ ਅਲਖੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ॥
ਫਲੁ ਤੇਵੇਹੋ ਪਾਈਐ ਜੇਵੇਹੀ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਈਐ ॥
ਜੇ ਹੋਵੈ ਪੂਰਬਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਤਾ ਧੂੜਿ ਤਿਨ੍‍ਾ ਦੀ ਪਾਈਐ ॥
ਮਤਿ ਥੋੜੀ ਸੇਵ ਗਵਾਈਐ ॥10॥

ਮਤਿ ਥੋੜੀ here is referred to the intelligence of our mind i.e. the thinking of our mind. At other places too in Gurbani, ਮਤਿ ਥੋੜੀ has been referred to the incomplete wisdom of the jeev. Siri Guru jee is saying that if one does sewa of Vaheguru through one’s own meagre intelligence (mann-matt), then one loses the effort or hard work done in doing sewa. Only if Vaheguru jee’s sewa is done through the divine wisdom (Gurmat) of Satguru, it is recognized in the eyes of Vaheguru. What sewa is Siri Guru jee referring to here? It is Naam dee sewa that Siri Guru jee is talking about here and this sewa can only be done when one gets initiated by the True Guru. Now a days, the process of initiation is called the Khande dee Pahul or Amrit Chhakna. At this time, Siri Guru jee bestows the true Naam to the new seekers, through the Punj Pyaare in the presence of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee. So Naam roopi sewa done after Amrit chhak is recognized, not one done without Amrit.

Some scholars have interpreted this pankiti as follow:

The ਮਤਿ ਥੋੜੀ is lost or destroyed through Sewa. This interpretation is according to Gurmat but in my opinion, these meanings would have been very solid if ਸੇਵ had a sihaari in the end. Then it would have been natural to derive the meaning of ‘through’ or ‘duaara’ from ਸੇਵ. Though it is true that in some instances these meanings can be derived through mukta endings but I personally prefer a sihaari in the end of a singular noun to derive this meaning, with full confidence.

Baani is Agam Agaadh Bodh. May Guru Sahib forgive our mistakes while interpreting and doing vichaar of Gurbani.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib