ਜਾਕਉਹਰਿਰੰਗੁਲਾਗੋਇਸੁਜੁਗਮਹਿਸੋਕਹੀਅਤਹੈਸੂਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

origins of 6 pauri anand sahib
Posted by: sikh-lair-lioness (IP Logged)
Date: June 30, 2008 10:44AM

vaheguru ji ka khalsa, vaheguru ji ki fateh jio
umm
me and a freind were reciting rehras sahib together and after pauri 5 of anand sahib, my freind carried on with the full anand sahib while i jumped straight to the last pauri. i told my freind that in rehras sahib its written in my gutka that there are only 6 pauria of anand sahib in the rehras, and everytim i hear anand sahib other than morning nitnem, its been only 6 pauri's long

then my freind asked me why, whats the reason for shortening it?
i had no answer to that question as im not very knowledgeable about the origins of our bania and the possible changes which may have arizen over the years

please does any1 have any factual evidence regarding how the shortening or abbreviation of anand sahib ji came about?

thankyou, i appreciate your help

---sikh-kaur-lioness---

(sikh kaur nt sikh lair.. i typed it rong :S oops)

Re: origins of 6 pauri anand sahib
Posted by: Manvir Singh Khalsa (IP Logged)
Date: July 01, 2008 07:12AM

I am not sure about Rehraas Sahib, however generally the Maryada of reading 5 Pauree'aa of Anand Sahib is recorded in the 52 Hukamnamas of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

It states:
12) Jaman, maran, ja viah mokae Jup da paatth kar tihaaval (Karaah Parsaad) kar anand sahib dia punj paurian, ardaas, pratham punj pyaariaan atae hazoori granthi noo vartaa kae oprunth sangat noo vartaaouna -

Translation: "At birth, death, or marriage ceremonies, do Japji Sahib, make Karaah Parshaad, do five stanzas of anand sahib, do ardaas, and then distribute Karaah Parshaad to the Panj Pyare, the Granthi, and then to the sangat."

Keeping the above in mind, it does not sound strange to read shortened Anand Sahib for Rehraas Sahib.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Daas,
Manvir Singh

Posted by: Harcharan Singh (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2008 03:25AM

That doesn't answer the original question - the problem is skipping over 80% of the pavitar bani and going to the last pauri - I personally have never seen any logical justification or historical evidence for this. If one were to do the same with Sukhmani Sahib or Jap Ji Sahib there would be an outcry.

There is no problem reciting 1st 5 paurian, because each pauri is complete in it self and any run of consequective paurian is complete, but jumping over the main body of the bani and reciting the last pauri makes no sense to me.

The mention of 5 paurian Anand and Anand (implying complete) also occurs in puratan rehits.

Posted by: Manvir Singh Khalsa (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2008 03:26AM

I forgot to mention that also in "Guru Kian Sakhian" also known as "Bhatt Vehee" it is written in Saakhi number 62 about reading 5 Pauriaa of Japji Sahib and 5 Pauriaa of Anand Sahib during Naam Sanskaar (when child is born).

Similarly I have read other places in Guru Kiaan Sakhiaan where Guru Sahib has instructed Sikh to read 5 Pauriaa of Anand Sahib and last Pauriaa before blessing the Degh (Karhaah Parshaad).

Therefore, it would be wrong to say that reading 5 Pauriaa of Japji Sahib or 5 Pauriaa (and end Pauree) of Anand Sahib is not Maryada or a new invention.

In addition to this, if we look at the morning Nitnem Baniaa (which are read during Amrit Sanchaar) then it apparent that the "Svaiyye" we read are NOT the full Svaiyye. The Svaiyye in total are 33. However, for Amrit Sanchaar and morning Nitnem we read only 10. Therefore, if we accept this then we should also accept that Guru Gobind Singh Ji and the Guru Khalsa Panth has given us a set Maryada for Banis and Nitnem.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Daas,
Manvir Singh

Posted by: sikh-lair-lioness (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2008 04:28AM

vaheguru ji ka khalsa, vaheguur ji ki fateh jip

thankyou :)

but where can i find an original copy of the 52 hukamnamas?
just for my own interest lol

and thankyou once again ji

---sikh-kaur-lioness---

(sikh kaur nt sikh lair.. i typed it rong :S oops)

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2008 08:49AM

this is very interesting thanks. we were discussing this on another thread recently.

can you tell me more about Guru Ki Sakhian please? what it is who is the author can i get it in book form etc would be much appreciated

Posted by: Harcharan Singh (IP Logged)
Date: July 03, 2008 06:23AM

Guru Kiyan Sakhian should be taken with a pinch of salt, I am sure that those quoting them do not believe every last detail that is written in there.

Could I ask for the exact quote or reference regarding recital of the last pauri.

Thanks.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib