ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Bhaiya influx a problem or a blessing in Punjab
Posted by: News (IP Logged)
Date: April 15, 2008 05:33PM

Punjabis say Biharis and UP people are changing demographics in Punjab. Its apparent from the news below that Punjabis now can't function without them either.

Labour pangs for farmers
Sanjeev Singh Bariana
Tribune News Service

Ludhiana, April 15
Worried over the poor availability of labour as the harvesting of wheat is reaching full swing, a number of farmers from all over the state are camping at the Railway station here for hiring farm labour to reap wheat. Labourers come in groups and their destination usually is pre-determined making things difficult seekers of workforce.

Balkar Singh from Batala, Faqir Singh and Gurmail Singh from Sangrur, Jarnail Singh from Jagraon, Balbir Singh from Nawanshahr and Ramesh Kumar and Gurmail Singh from Ropar have been "stuck up" at the station for a couple of days for hiring farm labour.

Balkar Singh said, "We come to Ludhiana because this is a central landing station for workforce of outsiders in the state. There are also chances of engaging persons who had come here for joining the industry. We offer them high wages for short-term jobs on the farm. These labourers usually land in a group. Their destination usually is pre-determined by their relatives or acquaintances who live here. "

Maghar Singh from adjoining Jandiali village rues, “This is my third morning in a row at the railway station. I am looking for a group of at least six labourers to help me in harvesting, but to no avail. They come in groups and the group leader decides on their job. A couple of days back I was told that migrants had gone home to Uttar Pradesh or Bihar mainly for Chhat Puja which has a special significance in their lives. Arrivals till date are poor.”

Karamjit Singh, a farmer from Chhabewal village, said, “There has been a definite decline in the number of migrant labourers from outside states in couple of seasons. We faced a similar situation during the last harvesting season for paddy”.

Ravinder Kumar, a farm labourer engaged in harvesting at Jandiali Kohara village, said, “Every year I used to go to my village Bharsi in Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh, to bring with me a sizeable batch of seasonal labour. I used to make the offer on behalf of farmers which generally was accepted. I did not go in the third year because people have stopped believing that they will get the wage they are offered”.

“One of the biggest reasons for the decline in migrant labourers in recent past has been lower wages. I came here eight years ago and quit harvesting a couple of years ago on the same account. I have experience here, so manage a slight better wage. However, young seasonal labour faces a lot of trouble at the hand of paymasters”.

Lakhbir Singh, engaged in harvesting near Sahnewal, said, “At least six different farmers have visited my group since morning. They are looking for labour and willing to pay us better. Lower wage has been a major reason for the labourers keeping away from the task. We are given less than the share of the yield offered and even that is not measured on properly”.

Re: Bhaiya influx a problem or a blessing in Punjab
Posted by: mandeep (IP Logged)
Date: April 16, 2008 12:24PM

its a blessing, they need to get their kids out and working, or hire the local kids, biggest problem for drugs is cause kids are to spoiled, make them work and earn money.

Posted by: scimitar (IP Logged)
Date: April 17, 2008 02:59AM

Ive wondered y panthic bodies did not come up with viable answer taking into note

main dilemna affecting punjab decline of sikhi, and perhaps to focus on a equilibrium

there is a new scheme called "fair trade" where big corps deal direct with farmers in africa. Considering a sizeable num of punjabis farm should we lobby for these deals?

i think the panthic bodies

develop on its sikhligar vanjara projects n helping our brothers and sisters thre transfer to punjab, thus not only do their conditions improve, they are incorporated into the panth, readily available employment ( provided a sikh giving another the correct wage as per their labour), also bolsters numerical nums of sikhs and the state shud provide vocational training on the side.. (maybe my fantasy land coming here but im already hearing about computer courses from other sources )

Some will have issues with this but i dont see what the prob a job is a job! n it helps a person better their condition put a roof ovr their head, food in their mouth, sustain their children, n move 2 better things n living amongst our brothers and sisters... Thats better than the conditions our poor vanjara brothers and sisters are in at the moment..

I think a correct cycle has to be set up first at one end of the scale with the help of outside sikhs lobbying with corps to encourage fair trade and establish set fair wages.

Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: April 18, 2008 06:14AM

Present generation of punjabis dont work, but the honest practicing amritdharis WHO WERE MASS MURDERED, were very honest hard working people. The needed no help from tobacco eating bhayas. However the bhayas (BROTHERS)who have come to Punjab now, they shud be taken care of and their kids shud be given good education.

Posted by: oothpathang (IP Logged)
Date: April 18, 2008 05:25PM

Bhayaas are very receptive to Sikhi. We should bring them in. They consider Guru Gobind Singh Jee as one of them since he was born in Patna Shahr. But they seem very adicted to Biri.

Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: April 18, 2008 11:23PM

We shud welcome everyone into the sikh faith: bhayas, goras, kaalaas, brownies but WE SHUD NEVER FORCE OUR FAITH ON ANYONE. Follow ur faith and be a complete FUNDAMENTALIST but never force it on others

Posted by: scimitar (IP Logged)
Date: April 19, 2008 03:39AM

the sikhlighar sikhs too retaind sikhi through poverty. I admire that!

dont wana cut bhaiyeh out n choose but i feel the bodies that represent the panth
often lamenting about how bad things are sikhiwise in punjab, had an opportunity to bolster the sikhs in punjab at a time when punjbi sikhs migrate outwards, taken to kes cutting while the vanjara tribes retained their sikh saroop through gareebhi.

Posted by: News (IP Logged)
Date: April 19, 2008 03:17PM

Another news about labour shortage in Punjab. Looks like Punjab is now dependent on migrants from Bihar for labour.

Labour shortage at mandis
Uttam Chand Mukhia, head of a labour group from Bihar, revealed that the inflow of labour from Bihar had dried up as factories have come up in various parts of that state and labour prefers to do job there
Sarbjit Dhaliwal
Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, April 19
The first critical signs regarding labour shortage have begun to emerge for Punjab’s agriculture. The inflow of labour, on which the state’s agriculture is hugely dependent, has begun to dry up.

Firm indications in this regard were available to The Tribune team that visited various grain markets which have started choking owing to the critical shortage of labour to clear markets of the procured wheat stock. Contractors and commission agents are running the show by engaging local labour owing to the scarcity of the migrant labour.

Kulwant Singh, a commission agent at the Sirhind grain market, said, “I had 45 migrant labourers last year. However, this year there are only 20.”

“In case weather turns hostile, there will be huge loss to wheat lying in grain markets and that worries us most,” said a group of farmers in the Morinda grain market.

As harvesting of wheat is in full flow, it is being unloaded by farmers in various grain markets at a rapid pace. There is no problem as far as its procurement by government agencies is concerned. However, owing to the non-clearing of the grain markets, farmers are facing serious problems to unload their fresh stock in the market yards. Heaps of wheat can also be seen on roads constructed on the periphery of the grain markets at Sirhind, completely blocking the road.

Choking of grain markets has become a political issue, as the Congress has decided to hold a statewide protest on April 22 in this regard. It has caused panic in the SAD-BJP government, as during the tenure of the Amarinder Singh government, any such problem was not encountered by farmers and commission agents.

Uttam Chand Mukhia, head of a labour group from the Supual region of Bihar, revealed that the inflow of labour from Bihar had dried up as factories have come up in various parts of that state and labour prefers to do job there.

“In Punjab, the average per day earning of a migrant labourer is Rs 100-125, whereas in Bihar he can earn Rs 70-80. That way it is better to work in Bihar than coming all the way to Punjab to do labour,” Uttam Chand, who speaks English fluently.

And travelling from Bihar to Punjab in a train is a very challenging job. Migrant labourers are looted on the way from Bihar to Punjab and on return to their native land. The railway police not only thrashes them but exploits them to the hilt. Whatever railway minister Lalu Prasad may say, the truth is that migrant labour faces a lot of humiliating situations while travelling from Bihar to Punjab and back, he adds. Moreover, travelling to Punjab for doing labour in fields or at grain markets is not very profitable now, he said, going deep into the problem of labour shortage.

Till this afternoon, about 22 lakh tonnes of wheat had arrived in various grain markets, and out of it, 13 lakh tonnes is still lying in market yards. Chairman of the Mandi Board, Ajmer Singh Lakhowal, today warned various government procurement agencies that they should clear the grain markets of wheat stock in the next 72 hours, otherwise 25 paise per bag would be charged from them under the Punjab Market Committee bylaws framed in 1963. At several places, trucks were seen parked in grain markets, but there was no labour to load the stock.

Posted by: Jarnail Singh "Arshi" Gyani (IP Logged)
Date: May 21, 2008 06:36AM

From what i saw during my visits to Punjab many Gurdwaras granthis are bhaiyas..
thats a good sign. Instead of pushing them away..we should do parchaar among them to convert them to Sikhi...they just love being elevated to SARDAR JI from just OH Bhaiyah...while many of our own are so ashamed of their dastaar/long hair that they go sirnangeh...

With so few girls ( female foeticide)..many Punjabi Sikhs will be marrying biharees/nepalis/etc girls...and then Punjabi language will also not be "ma boli"
The Demography of Punjab is indeed changing rapidly... Punjabis streaming OUT to WEST/Malaysia/Phillipines.. etc... and Biharees UPbhaiyas harnayavis streaming INTO Punjab... Migrant labour si a world wide problem...Punjabi Sikhs should tackle it to their advantage..

jrnYl isMG igAwnI "ArSI"

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: May 21, 2008 08:47AM

Arshi Gyani jee is right on. The time has come when Punjabis will have to marry kudesans. Kudesans were bibiyaan from Bihar, Orissa, Bengal and UP, who married our ancestors about 100-150 years ago.

About 100 years ago, Punjab suffered severed shortage of females because of female infanticide common in Hindus and Sikhs in those days. Since there were very few Sikh and Hindu women in Punjab, Punjabis used to bring women from UP, Bihar, Bengal for marriage. This hurt the Punjabi nasal (race) quite bit. The history is repeating itself again.

Kulbir Singh

Posted by: beowulf (IP Logged)
Date: May 22, 2008 12:34PM

If you want an answer to the question "problem or blessing"...just ask yourself how you would feel if others asked if Sikhs in Canada/US/UK/etc are a problem or a blessing.

Many times, I get the feeling that some people feel that only Punjab or Punjabis have exclusive rights to Sikhism.

I just don't get what this post has to do with Sikhism.

Posted by: Harcharan Singh (IP Logged)
Date: May 22, 2008 03:40PM

Bihari influx is a non-issue. The main reason for the original mass migration and change in Punjabi demographic is that many Jatt lok wanted to take advantage of mass cheap labour,with the aim of reaping huge profits through bigger yields (poisoning Punjabs water with numerous insecticides, chemical fertilisers etc) and near free labour, taking advantage of poverty stricken Biharis trying to support their families.

The real issue is not that of legal migration, which many of us (or our parents etc) contributing to this thread have taken advantage of ourselves; but rather the disgraceful, shameful and monstrous topic of Punjab being the femicide ~ KURIMAAR capital of the world.

This is primary no 1 issue that Sikhs need to address up and above anything else.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib