ਨਸਾਜ਼ੋਨਬਾਜ਼ੋਨਫ਼ੌਜੋਨਫ਼ਰਸ਼॥ਖ਼ੁਦਾਵੰਦਬਖ਼ਸ਼ਿੰਦਹਿਐਸ਼ਿਅਰਸ਼॥੪॥ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ੧੦॥)

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

jooth
Posted by: gurmantar (IP Logged)
Date: March 25, 2008 02:17PM

I've been asked about the significance of jooth by a non-amritdhari- i.e. why do Sikh's not eat jooth. Can someone shed someone light on this and evidence the reason with gurbani if possible? Thanks. Vjkk Vjkf.

Re: jooth
Posted by: oothpathang (IP Logged)
Date: March 26, 2008 10:51AM

I'm not sure, but I think that eating Jooth is just plain nasty!

Posted by: sidhu.hcl (IP Logged)
Date: March 29, 2008 12:47PM

i think there isnt anything bad in having Jooth of one u know. and i think this " Jooth factor is never taught by Guruji. It is developed by the takers of religion.

Posted by: M Singh (IP Logged)
Date: April 02, 2008 11:18AM

Jooth:
It is unhealthy, physically.
Unhealthy, spiritually also.
Eating Jooth means having food together; and when u do that u allow him/her to influence your mind and soul.
An Amitdhari Singh, who has taken "Amrit" in his body, will not allow "Jooth" in the same body.

Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: April 03, 2008 12:40AM

jooth increases love, i feel amritdharis shud eat jooth of each other to show their love for each other, gursikh couple shud also eat jooth of each other, and yes eating jooth of a nigura IS A KUREHIT(and requires a serious peshi before punj singhs)
NIGURE KA HAI NAUU BURRAAA.

Date: April 03, 2008 09:12AM

Personally speaking, I don't like people eating jooth. It just seems so nasty. Eating jooth is not part of our Indian culture. Jooth eating is Malech culture. If you go to the land of the Malech(middle east), you will see the Badhoos eating from the same thaali like Jaahil cave men. This is Malech attribute. In Indic Dharms like Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists Jhoot is discouraged. This is a sign of civilized people.

Date: April 03, 2008 10:21AM

Eating together should be sufficient to promote and increase "love"; whereas Eating from the same plate or batta can not be recommended, for that motive. Occassional jooth eating of a GURSIKH; out of gursikhi love; I have seen that sometimes.

Posted by: skaur (IP Logged)
Date: April 03, 2008 12:57PM

What about the air we breathe? When we are sitting on the bus, or walking down teh street, or sitting in sangat, aren't we breathing in the same air as all those non-"Gursikhs" who are also in our presence? Isn't that more "jooth" than food?

Date: April 03, 2008 06:09PM

Bhain skaur ji, u are correct. The air inhaled is common. We also share it with animals. At certain levels, u can also carry that logic to water. In the sarovar, we share water--"Amrit"; with others. Fish live in there and for that reason it is "Jooth".----------------------------------------But there is always a concern for drawing boundaries, in a mathematical and physical sense. As a human body; a living system; we are enclosed by our skin. We have a boundary. In a social sense we have those too. All are brothers and sisters as humman beings, yet Gursikh brothers or real brothers have different meanings to us.----------------------------. Breathing is spontaneous. It is automatic biological porcess. We do not control it as we control eating and drinking. We manage our food themselves. We distinguish healthy from unhealthy foods. We separate "Amrit" from "Bikh".----------------------------Nevertheless, we avoid foul air for breathing. We take away our body; when we know that a person sitting close to us is smelling foul. A person who has smoked , emits that smell from his mouth. We avoid his/her company.

"AAS PAAS BIKHUA KE KUNTA BEECH AMRIT HAI BHAI RAY"

Date: April 03, 2008 11:29PM

Guruji had asked to prohibit Jooth from "kuri-maar" "narhi maar" "one who consume liquor, and drugs" "one who is criminal"
eating occasional jooth of one u know, i dont think its bad but i dont have any evidence as refrence where guruji had asked his singhs or khalsas not to do so.

may be this must be developed by takers of religion and its motive must be to prevent sikhs from getting into deeper associations with "vikaari person" so tht sikh can do naam simran and reach his goal and not get indulged into vikaars by sitting next to thm.

Date: April 04, 2008 05:39AM

during an amrit-sanchar, all people after receiving amrit, drink the amrit from the same bowl. EVERYTHING that happens during an amritsanchar is a SIKHSHA OR TEACHING for the newly formed sikhs. Guru Jee wants his sikhs to share jooth, eating jooth is an expression of love, and we seriously need love among present day sikhs.
so basically, after a sikh decides to do roti de sanj with another sikh(this depends on the dietary bibek level of that sikh), eating jootha bhojan of each other is a very nice thing I feel.Its an expression of love.

<< Eating jooth is not part of our Indian culture. Jooth eating is Malech culture. If you go to the land of the Malech(middle east), you will see the Badhoos eating from the same thaali like Jaahil cave men. This is Malech attribute. In Indic Dharms like Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists Jhoot is discouraged. This is a sign of civilized people.>>
This is more of a RSS guy statement and is grossly anti-muslim. First of all sikhs dont follow any indian culture. Gursikhi jeevan is a culture in itself and is not limited to any particular area, civilization, race, etc. Secondly i agree middle east has done terrible torture on humanity( and is now facing its karmic affects) but middle east people do have some positive qualities and beliefs and to term the entire middle east population as malech is grossly anti-sikh and in fact anti-human.

Posted by: Bundha (IP Logged)
Date: April 04, 2008 08:59AM

Air - one has to be pragmatic about this. Air is free flowing and all around us we cannot control it, other then carry our own supply with us which is rather impractical.

Food/water – I can understand why non-amritdharies would find this objectionable as it feels like exclusivity. But when looked at it from a spiritual point of view the avoiding other peoples jhoot is very important, and I hoep the noen amritdharies can understand this.

We are all linked to everything around us in the most delicate and intricate way possible that we cannot begin to understand.

For example, when we make a roti – we gunn the arta, we roll out the arta and make the roti – whatever our mental state is – angry, or depressed, or happy or japing waheguru waheguru – all plays a part in that roti and goes in the makeup of that roti, and influences us when we eat it.

Not only that but it goes even more mind blowing. Where the seed was sown and by whom, who cut the wheat, how many insects and little creatures died in the making of the flour all have an influence on the art and ultimately on us when we eat that roti.

So, now if you are an amirtdhari, why would you want to eat something that is jhooti of a person who may not have any spriritual level, who may drink alcohol, may curse, have no simran, then all those negative vibes come to you. This is not to say an amritdhari is pureer the pure, BUT One already has ones own short coming why would you want to exacerbate the situation with another persons karam?

Date: April 04, 2008 08:44PM

Harinder wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
during an amrit-sanchar, all people after receiving amrit, drink the amrit from the same bowl. EVERYTHING that happens during an amritsanchar is a SIKHSHA OR TEACHING for the newly formed sikhs. Guru Jee wants his sikhs to share jooth, eating jooth is an expression of love, and we seriously need love among present day sikhs.
so basically, after a sikh decides to do roti de sanj with another sikh(this depends on the dietary bibek level of that sikh), eating jootha bhojan of each other is a very nice thing I feel.Its an expression of love.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Guru Jee does not encourage the eating of Jooth. Guru Gobind Singh Jee is Shah e Shahnshah! King of kings. Kings don't eat Jooth. Jooth eating is an attribute of low class people, while Dasam Patishah was of the Highest class. Guru Gobind Singh Jee has said: Khalsa Mero Roop Hai Khaas. If you beleive in Guru Gobind Singh Jee as Badshah, then we are his royal children, and as royal children of Shah e Shahanshah! we should not eat like low class people. By eating Jooth, and defending Jooth, you are insulting the king of Kings Guru Gobind Singh Jee!

When taking Amrit and all Gursikhs drinking from the same battaa is not the same as eating Jooth in regular life. During an amrit Sanchaar, we partake in a ceremony where we declare our new Janam as the royal children of Dasam Guru Jee. We declare from that day onwards that we no longer have caste distinctions from our fellow Guru-Bhais present there.

Harinder wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This is more of a RSS guy statement and is grossly anti-muslim. First of all sikhs dont follow any indian culture. Gursikhi jeevan is a culture in itself and is not limited to any particular area, civilization, race, etc. Secondly i agree middle east has done terrible torture on humanity( and is now facing its karmic affects) but middle east people do have some positive qualities and beliefs and to term the entire middle east population as malech is grossly anti-sikh and in fact anti-human.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If I am RSS, then I can also accuse you of being a Kala Afghanist because your statements are just as Hindu Phobic as his. Indic religions like Sikhi, Hinduism, Buddhism share many similar things, and not eating Jooth is one of them. I am just stating the truth. If you go to the middle east, you will see Arab Badhoos eating from the same Thaali(Makes me vomit to see that!). In India, this is what low class people do. This is Malech attribute. In our Bharati culture, eating of Jooth is considered low class attribute. Could you imagine Baba Deep Singh Jee, Bhai Mani Singh Jee, Sant Jarnail Singh Jee, Bhai Randhir Singh Jee eating Jooth? NO WAY!

So it is your choice, do you want to follow the ways of these Brahmgianis, or do you want to follow and defend the ways of the Melech from the middle east? Choice is yours, Aar Yaa(n) Paar....

Date: April 05, 2008 06:43AM

there is a very pyara gursikh who stays in a village, attended school uptill 4th, hahaha, japps naam all day. I love eating his jooth, just after eating his joothi daal, my surti in naam increases very sharply. If i was a bibi, i would have surely married him and eaten his jooth all my life, hahahahah.

Date: April 05, 2008 08:28AM

<<< What about the air we breathe? When we are sitting on the bus, or walking down teh street, or sitting in sangat, aren't we breathing in the same air as all those non-"Gursikhs" who are also in our presence? Isn't that more "jooth" than food?>>>>

I admit i wasnt that good in biology and had more interest in maths/physics but dont we breathe in oxygen which is given by plants?(gursikhs love plants, gursikhs eat plants) and we dont breathe in the carbon dioxide exhaled by non-sikhs.

Date: April 05, 2008 01:55PM

veer harinder singh ji

though im not taking anyside but for this answer i will admire ur brain ability. I liked ur this explanation personally.

air is a resource like other resources water, food, petrol(ur favorite topic) whn we are using a resouce gifted to us by nature, "Thres no Jooth" coz we are not using ANYBODY's biproduct or leftout.

Date: April 13, 2008 12:03PM

vjkk vjkf

Thanks to you all for your messages... but to be honest I haven't heard any fact. Imagine you're explaining this to a non-amritdhari and disputes our practices. They're after fact and proof regarding what guru ji's instruction is. So I humbly ask is there a definite line that has been drafted by guru ji? Or do you do what you feel is right within the context of what you have learnt??

vjkk vjkf

Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: April 15, 2008 02:58AM

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹ

khalsa jeeo,

i believe that eating th ejooth of someone who you have 'naam dee rista' wit and who also keeps same rehit as you e.g. sarbloh bibek, is not a problem. i would personally jump at the chance to eat the jooth of a tyaar-bar-tyaar singh or singhnee.

i also humbly feel that the concepts of food-bibek, jooth and sootak are very much misunderstood and often haphazardly 'lumped together' as a result, by the general sangat.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Date: April 15, 2008 11:28AM

Atma Singh...who should you not have the jooth off and why?
if you could use bani to back up your beleif it would also be appreciated
thanx

Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: April 18, 2008 07:17AM

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹ

veer/bhain 'gurmantar' jee,

my limited and current understanding regarding jooth, sootak and food-bibek i.e. sarbloh bibek is as follows:

- 'jootha' refers to a substance or object which has in some way become contaminated, through it's contact with something impure i.e. someone eats from your bowl. you no longer eat because their saliva, dirty hands were messing around with your food and for hygeine reasons, you do not wish to eat this 'jootha' food. it is interesting that the word jooth is very similar to the word chooth i.e. lie, falsehood. this may be sheer coincidence o rmay not be. veer kulbir singh, any thoughts regarding the etymology?

- the concept of sootak has been referred to in gurbaaNee many times, perhaps most vividly and in most detail in asa kee vaar. sadly, many members of the so-called panth believe that asa kee vaar disproves the concept of sarbloh-bibek but it is due to a lcal of their bibek-budhee (spiritually-orientated discerning mind-set) which leads them to this assumption. sadly, some even refer to bibekees as 'brahmins' or worse.

gursikhs who have such humility that they would drink the wash-water of gurmukh piyarae if it were offered to them, who rub the snagat's dust onto their faces when they get the opportunity, certainly cannot be brushed with this sootak label.

in asa kee vaar, maharaaj jee is describing the concept of 'impurity' whereby brahmins consider many things impure and as having the ability to make them impure if they come into gross or even subtle contact with them. for instance, a brahmin may not eat a meal if the brahimin's eyes happen to have landed on a female or lower caste individual or vice-versa. brahimns, considering themselves as perfectly pure and most worthy before vaheguroo, rationalise that anyone or anything 'lower' than them has the ability to affect their purity, which for them is directly linked to their godliness. basically, anything and almost everything makes a brahmin impure. they don't just believe that 'cleanlinees is next to godlinees'...for them, it is intrinsic to godliness!

- food bibek is often described as a mixture of the the jooth and sootak concepts but this is not the case. regarding jooth for instance, i eat my wife's jooth and as i said before, relish the opportunity of having 'batae dee sanjh', i.e. eating from the same utensils, of piyarae gurmukhs.

during the a(n)mrit sanchaar, the khalsa chak a(n)mrit and parshaad from the same bata....regarding the latter, after having eaten a guffa, they are encouraged to put their hand back for another guffa which would undeniably have saliva upon it. this shows that once someone enters the fraternity of the khalsa, and pledges to keep all mandatory rehits and asools, there is no concept of jooth amongst this fraternity.

a cast-iron (forgive the pun!) example of how sootak plays no part regarding sarbloh-bibek is when dr trilochan singh mentions the following (words to the effect of) in the english translation of bhai raNdheer singh's auto-biography, 'jail chittiaa(n)': whilst bhai sahib would not eat from the hands of the non-a(n)mritdharee/patit aristocracy, he would relish eating from the hands of 'low-caste' individuals who had joined the fraternity of the khalsa by chakking a(n)mrit.

in fact, the jatha was well-known for encouraging 'low-castes' to chak a(n)mrit, many times facing boycott themselves and not being allowed to use village-utilities as a result of the fact that others felt they had become contaminated.

furthermore, food bibek is nothing like sootak. sootak, as a concept, revolves around the idea that everyone and everything apart from a a brahmin is lower than a brahmin and therefore liable to defile a brahmin's godliness. therefore suchum is of paramount importance. maharaaj jee criticises them saying that without truth, they are impure, everything they do is impure and everything they eat is impure. maharaaj jee also explaines how everything they come into contact with, despite their suchum-inspired efforts, is techinically impure...they as truluy impure people actually make others and other things impure due to their insipid and high-handed nature.

according to gurmat, impurity/impure refers to that which is not in accordance with vaheguroo's hukam...it is only living within hukam that one becomes pure. therefore, the khalsa will only take food and keep strong sangat with those individuals who live within hukam i.e. chak a(n)mrit, make sincere efforts to jap naam, keep all of dasmesh pita jee's compulsory rehit, give dasvandh, do seva etc. only that food is 'pure', is truly 'khalis' (pure) and for consumption by the 'khalsa' (the pure), which has been prepared by maharaaj jee's rehitvaan khalsa, who jap naam/recite gurbaanee breath by breath. because this food has been prepared within the hukam of vaheguroo, it is blessed with the shaktee of vaheguroo's nazar, of their grace...consuming such sanctified food positively effects those who consume it. it literally has the energy to encourage those who eat it to adopt the hukams of vaheguroo.

bhai sahib raNdheer singh has said that that degh which has been made by rehitvaan, tyaar-bar-tyaar khalsa, whose every swaas is absorbed in naam, who prepare it obeying full maryada...anyone who eats such degh, such mahaparshaad, will be blessed with gurmat naam at some point - whether in that life or a future life, it is inevitable and it will occur. i happen to believe this because it makes perfect logical sense.

therefore the main things to remember are as follows:

- sarbloh bibek is about obtaining, preparing, serving and eating only that food which complies with vaheguroo's hukam i.e. it is not ill-gotten/impure. even more importantly, it has been invested with naam/gurbaaNee by the person who prepares and serves it. without this last factor, it is mere pakhand (hyposcrisy/false-show).

- of primary importance, the sarbloh allows the energy of naam/gurbaaNee to enter the food, just as it helps the same to enter the water and sugar during a(n)mrit sanchaars. secondarily, it has health benefits as food is fortified by the sarbloh (iron) while it cooks/is served/is eaten. sarbloh is a very important substance which the body requires...and it is often lacking amongst vegetarians.

- a bibekee considers all that food/wealth etc. impure which does not pass the litmus test of being in harmony with vaheguroo's hukam i.e. food which is non-bibekee, wealth which is ill-gotten etc. therefore food is just one factor which sadly seems to bear the brunt when it comes to people challenging the concept of bibek.

please can those gursikhs who have more bibek-budhee please add to this thread.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib