ਜਾਕਉਹਰਿਰੰਗੁਲਾਗੋਇਸੁਜੁਗਮਹਿਸੋਕਹੀਅਤਹੈਸੂਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Bhog with Kirpan
Posted by: Singh. (IP Logged)
Date: February 02, 2010 02:07PM

I have learnt from elder Singhs that Bhog of Degh or Langar should only take place with a Sarbloh kirpan that is 1 piece only (i.e. Taksali kirpan style) and not with those with a 'handle'. This, apparantly, is the Puratan Maryada.

Can someone please shed some light on the reason behind this maryada?

Re: Bhog with Kirpan
Posted by: Takhat Singh (IP Logged)
Date: February 03, 2010 01:16PM

The idea is that the kirpan be only sarbloh. The handle shouldn't be wood or any joint, etc. If the kirpan is one piece then that is assured. I know that Singhs do also allow kirpans that have a handle but on the condition that there is no doubt that it is completely sarbloh with no other material.

Posted by: mpsingh86 (IP Logged)
Date: February 04, 2010 02:02AM

Hello Veerji,

I have one doubt. Guru Gobind singh ji Used Kirpan to convert meat into Karah Parsad. Then why we are using Kirpan on Karah parsad which is already Pure and Shud.

Also Kirpan was used in Sikhism during Miri Piri Raaj till today. From 1st patshahi till 5th Patshahi, How did Sikh at that time used to Bhog for Karah Parshad

Posted by: 13khalsa (IP Logged)
Date: February 06, 2010 01:59PM

Mpsingh86 jee, I think you like many others have misunderstood the concept of Bhog.

Bhog is not done to make something pure. It is quite clear in Gurbanee that Akaal Purkh only does Bhog with those who are worthy of Bhog. The actual term is directed towards a pleasure and therefore Bhog can only be done with something that is pleasing. Bhog can not be done with something that is not pleasing or pure.

Degh is an offering given to Akaal Purkh received through Bhog with Sarbloh and Naam if it is made according to Maryada.

If Degh is not made according to Maryada then it is hard to see how Bhog will be done, we can’t force anything onto Akaal Purkh.

Date: February 06, 2010 11:00PM

Could you please provide any Gurbani Tuk from SGGSji or Dasam Granth ji which support this fact that Krah Prasad Bhog must be done with KIRPAN

Date: February 07, 2010 01:47AM

Then How Bhog of Krah Prashad Was performed during 1st Patshahi till 5th Patshahi.

Posted by: ਸਿੰਘ (IP Logged)
Date: February 08, 2010 06:53AM

According to Giani Harbans Singh Bhog was done with the hands of Guru Jee from the time of Guru Nanak Dev Jee until the introduction of Kirpan Bhet. This is written in his book Karhaah Prashaad Maryaadaa Nirnhey, he however has not given specific details and like the rest of his book a lot of what is written is according to his understanding of things. Most of what is written is OK but I disagree with him on some points but that’s a different topic.

The fact is that Kirpan Bhet is part of Khalsa Maryada, it’s nice to know how things might have been done before but it does not change the way things are now. In any way it will be very difficult to determine and prove how things were done exactly.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib