ਜਾਕਉਹਰਿਰੰਗੁਲਾਗੋਇਸੁਜੁਗਮਹਿਸੋਕਹੀਅਤਹੈਸੂਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Keertan seva by ‘monay’
Posted by: Singh5 (IP Logged)
Date: October 18, 2007 03:12PM

Keertan seva by ‘monay’

I have been troubled for a while now and thought to share it with sangat here on the Tapoban sahib Forum. Having already spoken to other Singh’s along with Singh’s from Punjab I thought it may be an idea to share openly. Before I make the post, I’d like to make clear that im not against monay or don’t hold monay in any lower or higher regard. So please read with an open mind. You will for sure come across the term ‘monay’ quiet often but it has not used in a derogatory manner but rather to refer to those who cut their hair.

I’ve been seeing every week where ‘monay’ are being allowed to lead youth keertan and simran on a weekly base. Before assumptions are made, I will state that monay are more than welcome to join in the sangat at these keertans/ simran programmes (the simran done is dhunni of ‘Vaaheguroo’ not Naam abhiyaas). It’s straightforward why monay don’t have the right to do lead keertan seva in sangat. They can sit along gursikh sangata and join in any way they like but with the exclusion of leading on vaja or tabla. In my opinion keertan along with other roles within Guroo ghar’s is one of the areas in which we need to draw certain lines to. A lot of shabads in GurbaaNee talk about surrendering to Guroo Sahib Jee, and accepting he’s Hukams etc. Honestly, do monay fit into his category?

Why are monay or non amritdharis not allowed to do keertan seva or simran in sangat? Just some thoughts;

1) It is accepted by the panth in the ‘Panthic Rehet Maryada’. All panthic groups, mainly AKJ do not let non amritdharis onto stage. This isn't a particularly controversial position once this stand is understood.
The ‘Panthic Rehet Maryada’ states the following;
a) only a Sikh may perform Kirtan in a congregation.

2) Keeping kesh is the most fundamental hukam if not the most obvious and crucial rule of being a Sikh. Being Amritdhari is vital when carrying out certain roles or seva within Guroo ghar. Being someone who isn’t even keshadhari is beyond any sense.

3) One who is on stage/ or giving updesh through GurbaaNee must themselves be examples. How would someone who is clean shaven or removes kesh in any form be in any position to do parchar/ or give updesh of Gurmat? How can someone who doesn’t even keep the appearance of a Sikh sing; ‘satgur aagay sees bhaett dheo’ which is the case everyweek at the programme, when clearly visible, that person has not given their own sees to SatGuroo via becoming Guroo vala / taking amrit. So at least physically, people who do keertan publicly should look as if they have a commitment to Guroo Sahib through the basics of appearance.

4) If someone doing keertan cuts or removes their hair, what impression does it give? That person is assumed to be well versed and posses knowledge of Gurbani and yet has chosen not to follow Gurmat. What can be more damaging than this? It provides such an easy excuse for others who are less educated or experienced in sikhee, sitting in sangat, feeling that they don't have to keep their hair in order to progress in Sikhi. How does this further the growth of Sikhi? Why would you want to violate Gurmat in order to ‘inspire’ them in becoming gursikhs, or to make monay feel welcomed? There are other ways.

5) It makes no sense to begin with. One who is Gurmantar-heenus (without Gurmantar) is leading gursikhs in sangat or sangat in general in doing simran without him/her self having this Naam or living according to Guroo Sahib jee’s mat? How will this lead to sangat attaining rass? This is when it becomes just entertainment in form of sound. I personally find it very hard to take serious. When will we realize to do satkar of gurbaaNee and the whole concept of leading by example?

Im sure there are many many more reasons but in aid of keeping the post short, I’ve stopped here.
I am not demeaning the shardha or pyaar monay may have for Guroo Sahib but, keeping kesh is far more important than trying to ‘inspire’ or make someone feel loved. Let’s think about this. What kind of love is this? When love reaches its peak, one automatically falls at the feet of his/her beloved. That’s when total and unconditional surrender takes place. Such surrender exhibits and manifests itself first and foremost in the image of a Sikh in full Sikhi saroop. If monay have pyaar and shardha, then that burning love would surely make one genuinely accept hukams of Guroo Sahib. How do we justify allowing one who does not accept hukams, to sing within darbar? A person who visibly is not sabat surat, is singing hukams of GurbaaNee to sangat to fall at Guroo Sahib Jee’s charan when the person him/herself hasn’t? Is it not hypocritical to give updesh of GurbaaNee through keertan, when one isn’t in tact physically and is not following it? What laaha will you get? Will those who are listening be influenced in any way? If not, then what is all this show about? That you have a sweet and melodious voice? Even birds have that, so how are you any different?
If Guroo Sahib Jee has blessed you with a good voice and ability to do Keertan, then count yourself special, and for that, become His very own. Keep His blessed form, and then sing GurbaaNee. Not only you, but even those who listen to you will notice a marked change in the tone and melody of your voice, it will come from the deepest depths of your soul that you’ve given to your Guroo.

The incident of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee and a Keertani Jatha is known by many already. This in itself is a huge point.
I’ve found myself left feeling somewhat isolated by feeling this way having spoken to gursikhs locally at the weekly programme (who I very much love and respect). I don’t enjoy feeling uncomfortable and neither am i being ‘extra’ or ‘judgmental’. Whether there is parkash or not of Sahib Shree Guroo Granth Sahib Jee does not matter. The fact is the setup is the Guroo ghar. This has become a regular occurance now at the local programme of calling or allowing monay from sangat to do seva of joRhee or vaja and has bewildered me, leaving me feeling somewhat sad each time. My views are known locally within the sangat but I can’t seem to see past the illogical reasons (that of showing pyaar) by violating Gurmat asools. Tomorrow, Ardaas will be encouraged to be done by monay just to show pyar. Where do we stop? There are already countless dhills amongst us without adding this in the illusion of love.

I know im not the only one who shares and holds the importance of this asool. The Jatha as a whole practices this asool. I know many Singhs I have spoken to also hold these points. In my opinion, it would be contrary to Gurmat and be absurd having monay doing keertan in sangat.

Please don’t be disheartened by my ramblings but there are many other ways of making new comers to Sikhi and sangat feel welcomed, loved and supported. It really is not worth violating Gurmat over. There are many other ways to inspire and encourage others without belittling Guroo Sahib’s path.
Please feel free to share your thoughts and remember this is not about amritdhari’s hating or making one feel inferior or superior over each other.

Positive feedback would be appreciated.

Please forgive me if anything I said has come across offensive in my frustration. Im sure this may not be a deal to some,but hope everyone understands that this is an important issue maybe more to some of us than others.

Re: Keertan seva by ‘monay’
Posted by: Ninja (IP Logged)
Date: October 19, 2007 03:56AM

They are only young kids like you said, let them it might bring them closer to Gursikhi. Or you could just shun them out all together and tell them to scram!

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: October 19, 2007 06:50AM

Monnay should be shown love and acceptance but this should not be done at the price of breaking maryada. Many years ago one Chaman Lal used to do kirtan at Delhi Gurdwaras while being monna. There was a lot of opposition to this and eventually I heard he did take amrit.

Maryada must be followed and if you explain with love, monnay do understand that if one wants to enjoy the rights in Sikh faith, one also must carry out the duties. Keeping Kesh is a duty that must be fulfilled in order to have the right to do kirtan.

Kulbir Singh

Posted by: Singh. (IP Logged)
Date: October 19, 2007 08:48AM

Good post, and I agree that certain Seva in a Gurdwara, especially that in a Darbar Sahib should only be carried out by certain people. People with cut hair do not fall under this category, unfortunately.

I've never actually personally seen this happen before, but in future it should be prevented. All Gursikhs should support this and make sure it doesn't happen in Gurdwarey.

Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2007 03:07AM

VahegurooJeeKaKhalsa,VahegurooJeeKeeFateh!

Khalsa Jeeo,

people give many reasons for relaxing such Rehit and Asools. "it will help bring people into Sikhee", "this camp is for newcomers", "maybe by doing this they will become inspired".

the problem is that such attitudes and approaches belie a lack of satkaar and Bho (Spiritually-inspired fear) regarding Maharaaj Jee. It also shows that the amritdharee people who allow this to happen do not have much bibek budhee, and care more for public opinion and 'inclusiveness' than they do for obtaining Maharaaj Jee's khusheeaa(n).

there is a loving way one can inform monay Sangat regarding such issues. If they react badly then that is their maree kismat; their intention could not have been to do seva in the Gurmat sense.

a humble person who wishes to gain Maharaaj Jee's kirpa, whether mona or amritdharee, will shape thir needs and attitudes around Maharaaj Jee whereas an egotistical person, whether mona or amritdharee, will do the reverse.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Posted by: Mehtab Singh (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2007 06:51AM

All this "it will help bring people into Sikhee", "this camp is for newcomers", "maybe by doing this they will become inspired" is a cover up. If this is the intention, all we need to do is educate folks on our history, our incomparable shaheeds. That is much more than enough to inspire even non-Sikhs. At the end of the day, its up to Gurujee whom He draws near Himself. "Karmi aapo aapni, kay nayrai kay door".

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib