ਨਸਾਜ਼ੋਨਬਾਜ਼ੋਨਫ਼ੌਜੋਨਫ਼ਰਸ਼॥ਖ਼ੁਦਾਵੰਦਬਖ਼ਸ਼ਿੰਦਹਿਐਸ਼ਿਅਰਸ਼॥੪॥ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ੧੦॥)

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Professional
Posted by: burning (IP Logged)
Date: June 15, 2008 04:10AM

Vaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsa Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh

Pyaree Sadh Sangat Ji,

Daas would like to pose a question to the sangat. Daas was wondering what the sangat thinks of being a raagi for a living, obviously, Guru Sahib di kirpa naal one would do nishkaam seva aswell but is there anything wrong to do it as a "job" for a non-greedy wage? Would some spiritual phal be obtained, Daas isn't sure, but didnt Guru Sahib have some paid pyare kirtania?

nimana daas also has a humble benti, please dont use this thread as a place to talk bad of guru sahib's kirtani's who do recieve money :)

Re: Professional
Posted by: Harcharan Singh (IP Logged)
Date: June 15, 2008 12:34PM

Of course full time kirtani should be paid a living wage.

This has always been the case, Rababi tradition which was only abolished by SGPC, existed form the time of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, these were full time Muslim kirtani who's sole life purpose it was to sing Sat-Guru's bachan.

You don't need to look further than the one of the last true great kirtanis who did over 70 years worth of nishkaam seva at Darbaar Sahib - Adhan Shaahi Mahapursh Baba Shaam Singh Ji Seva Panthi.

Their life was dedicated to performing the most beautiful kirtan in Sat-Guru's hazuri keeping full kirtan maryada including using Guru Arjun Dev Ji's gifted Saranda.

Whatever living wage is agreed, the key is that you do the kirtan for your Guru (and as per Guru's hukum) and therefore always in shardaa, nimrata and prem.

No difference to Gyaani's who look after the Gurdwarai, it's a full time seva, and you and they live in grihisht, so have to feed your family.

[www.sewapanthi.org]

Posted by: * (IP Logged)
Date: June 15, 2008 05:47PM

" is there anything wrong to do it as a "job" for a non-greedy wage"

I think it is good because all the time the persons mann will be with bani and guru sahib. If the goal is to atain spiritual phal. I think it is great. If the raagi will not run after money, money will run after him. Also if raagi have love for god and good jeewan that love will be shown in kirtan and all listners will feel that love too and good jeewan will be idle for all other people. it depend on person himself. There are lots of examples. Also the person can spend all time with a=bani and gurusahib which is not possible with other profession.

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2008 05:39AM

its probably good because once you have set wage you will not be motivated by money any more. you can take singing as seva to prabh without worrying about paying bills. however then you might get distracted by other things such as personal prestige.

but its not going to be easy job is it? alot of raags to learn.

Posted by: singhbj (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2008 06:37AM

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

ਹਰਿ ਊਤਮੁ ਕਾਮੁ ਜਪੀਐ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੀਐ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਹੋਵੈ ॥

Chanting the Name of the Lord is the most exalted occupation; chanting the Name of the Lord, one becomes immortal.

Source: [www.srigranth.org]

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Posted by: burning (IP Logged)
Date: June 21, 2008 10:30AM

Thank you for these very nice replies. I infer that Guru Maharaj did indeed have kirtaniya who were paid as well as nishkaam kirtaniya.
Apologies for my lack of knowledge, my memory is a little shady on this sakhi, were Satta and Balwanda Ji also recieving a living from Guru Sahib for kirtan?

Finally, could the tapoban gursikhs also please input thier opinion? Is all kirtan seva at Gurdvara Tapoban Sahib Nishkaam?

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2008 05:18AM

hi

sorry i cant help thinking you are misusing the word nishkaam. a work cam still be nishkaam is someone is being paid for it. being paid or not is irrelevant it a work being nishkaam. nishkaam refers to the action itself with disinterest in the consequences.

how can you say that nishkaam and seva are different?

so even if someone is doing seva kirtan (without pay) - if they revel in the attention or act like its their personal concert and enjoy it like that- how can it be called seva?

state of mind is the point.

Posted by: singh_bling (IP Logged)
Date: June 24, 2008 10:22AM

hmmm

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib