View Post Listing    |    Search    

Shabad - What we can learn from the life of a Hailstone
Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: October 10, 2007 12:49PM

kbIr BlI BeI jo Bau pirAw, idsw geNI sB BUil]
Erw gir pwnI BieAw jwie imilAw Fil kUil

Kabir Bhalee bhayee jo bhau pariya, disha gayee sabh bhool||
Ora gar pani bhaiya, Jaaye miliyo dhal kool||

Bhagat Kabir jee in this great salok is writing great philosophy of life. He uses the example of water that gets evaporated from river or sea and gets carried away to sky. From there it ends up back to Earth in form of rain or hailstone. Hailstones are pellets of ice that fall when the temperature is low. While drops of water in form of rain fall on Earth and start flowing towards river, hailstone has to wait till it melts and then it flows towards river.

Same way the jeev-aatma that has got separated from Vaheguru is now sitting away from Vaheguru and has become stiffened because of haume. In other words, the hailstone represents a person engrossed or siezed by haume. Only when hailstone melts, it becomes water and starts flowing downhill towards the river. Same way, when ones haume goes away, one becomes humble and starts moving towards Vaheguru.

Below are the meanings of this salok:

Bhalee Bhayee Changa hoiya, Good that it occurred.

Bhau Pariya That I attained some fear of God.

Disha gayee sabh bhool I have not forgotten or stop wandering in different directions.

Ora Hailstone

Gar has melted

Pani bhaiya and has become water.

Jaaye miliyo Has gone and met

Dhal Kool after flowing downhill has met the river again.

The pankiti is interpreted as follows:

Bhagat Kabir jee is saying that its really good that I have attained some fear of Vaheguru; and this way the wandering (of my mind) has gone away. Only after the hailstone melts, it becomes water and starts flowing downhill towards the river (from where it had got separated).

Baani is Agam Agaadh Bodh and no one can claim to find the other end of Gurbani. This is just a meagre attempt to understand Gurbani. Guru Sahib Bhali karan.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib