ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Why do we take socks off in the Darbar Sahib?
Posted by: yes (IP Logged)
Date: February 22, 2008 06:05AM

Why do we take socks off in the Darbar Sahib?

I know in India we can't wear them, but in the UK everyone wears socks in the Darbar Sahib.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 06:29AM by admin.

Re: Why do we take socks off in the Darbar Sahib?
Posted by: hardeep sengh (IP Logged)
Date: February 22, 2008 12:13PM

sometimes your socks may be wet smelly or dirty so it is repectful to maharaaj and it doesnt make the guy whos sitting next to you life a misery

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: February 22, 2008 12:21PM

The maryada is to go nangay pair (bare feet). Nangay pair means nothing put on the feet. Therefore, socks shouldn't be taken in. If all Gurdwara's had charan-ganga, then socks would not practically go in because they would get wet. In India, most Gurdwaras have charan-ganga and this too helps in keeping socks out.

Kulbir Singh

Posted by: gsingh (IP Logged)
Date: February 22, 2008 12:46PM

Maybe something to keep in mind when renovating or repairing gurdwaray in the western world is to make sure to install charan ganga somewhere close to the entrance so everyone takes off their socks and washes their feet before entering. THe only gurdwaray in the GTA that i have seen with charan ganga are Rexdale, Malton and Tapoban Sahib, the more gurdwaray that install it, the better it will be. Personally, I find that alot of times when I goto other gurdwaray I have to goto the shower in the bathroom to wash my feet before doing guru sahib's darshan.

Posted by: gsingh (IP Logged)
Date: February 22, 2008 12:47PM

sorry, forgot to mention, mississauga gurdwara and Gurdwara Jot Prakash also have charan ganga.

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: February 23, 2008 05:17PM

india is still very hot and dusty so of course one must wash feet and go barefoot to Guru ji ka Darbar. however i do not like the small pools of ganga as i worry that they could transmit foot infections, i would prefer wash facilities.

in west cllimate is moderate and person can wash at home and them come to Gurduara is fresh clean socks. but still washing of feet before taking Darshan is good as a religious act.

Posted by: hopeless (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2008 10:57AM

wow that is amazing.....in canada.....i always wished if we had charan ganga here in the uk gurdwaras it would be great because you end up walking on dirty floors so i never take them off....all that i can say for UK gurdwara is some of them have a beer licence

Posted by: sidhu.hcl (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2008 01:04PM

hopeless again its me :)) for ur answer

In order to maintain the santity of a sacred place people are always advised to keep their shoes and socks off

whn ur visiting the supreme Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji in order to mark respect and to show urslf tht we all are equal. Gurudwara's are equipped with Guru ka langer , snan-grahs (sorowars), and water tank (to wash ur feets) before entering the sacred place.

Posted by: pradeep4u (IP Logged)
Date: March 11, 2008 12:37AM

dear
w g j k
w g j k f

we can't take socks in darbar sahib because socks are also consider as shoos
u can't go with socks in darbar of guru g.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib