ਨਸਾਜ਼ੋਨਬਾਜ਼ੋਨਫ਼ੌਜੋਨਫ਼ਰਸ਼॥ਖ਼ੁਦਾਵੰਦਬਖ਼ਸ਼ਿੰਦਹਿਐਸ਼ਿਅਰਸ਼॥੪॥ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ੧੦॥)

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

A sufi and his devoted follower
Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2008 12:30PM

In other thread someone was telling me that Sufis are different from True Islamists. Many have been misled, mostly by their own soft-headed scholars, to cherish the fond belief that the Sufis were spiritual seekers, and that unlike the Mullahs, they loved non-Islamic religious lore and liked their non-muslim neighbours. A reknowned Sufi saint was Ahmad Sirhindi (1564-1624). He was always foaming at the mouth against Akbar’s policy of peace with the Hindus. He proclaimed himself the Mujaddid-i-alf-i-sãnî, ‘renovator of the second millennium of Islam’. Besides writing several books, he addressed many letters to several powerful courtiers in the reign of Akbar and Jahangir. His Maktûbãt-i-Imãm Rabbãnî have been collected and published in three volumes. A few specimens should suffice to show the quality of this man’s mind. After Guru Arjun Deva had been tortured and done to death by Jahangir, he wrote in letter No. 193 that

“the execution of the accursed kafir of Gobindwal is an important achievement and is the cause of the great defeat of the Hindus.” 1

In letter No. 163 he wrote: “The honour of Islam lies in insulting kufr and kafirs. One who respects the kafirs dishonours the Muslims… The real purpose of levying jiziya on them is to humiliate them to such an extent that they may not be able to dress well and to live in grandeur. They should constantly remain terrified and trembling. It is intended to hold them under contempt and to uphold the honour and might of Islam.”2

1.S.A.A. Rizvi, Muslim Revivalist Movements in Northern India in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries, Agra, 1965 p. 215.
2.Ibid

Just to remind that Sirhindi ranks with Shah Waliullah as one of the topmost sufis and theologians of Islam. Referring to his role, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad has written in his Tazkirah that “but for these letters Muslim nobles would not have stood by Islam and but for the efforts of Shaikh Ahmad, Akbar’s heterodoxy would have superseded Islam in India.”3

1.S.A.A. Rizvi, Muslim Revivalist Movements in Northern India in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries, Agra, 1965 p. 215.
2.Ibid
3.Ibid

Some how Sirhindi was able to convince Jahangir to kill Fifth Guru. This is how he writes in his Tuzuk-i-Jahãngîrî:

"In Gobindwal, which is on the river Blyah (Beas), there was a Hindu named Arjun, in the garments of sainthood and sanctity, so much so that he had captured many of the simple-hearted of the Hindus, and even of the ignorant and foolish followers of Islam, by his ways and manners, and they had loudly sounded the drum of his holiness. They called him Guru, and from all sides stupid people crowded to worship and manifest complete faith in him. For three or four generations (of spiritual successors) they had kept this shop warm. Many times it occurred to me to put a stop to this vain affair or to bring him into the assembly of the people of Islam. At last when Khusrau passed along this road this insignificant fellow proposed to wait upon him. Khusrau happened to halt at the place where he was, and he came out and did homage to him. He behaved to Khusrau in certain special ways, and made on his forehead a fingermark in saffron, which the Indians (Hinduwan) call qashhqa. When this came to my ears and I clearly understood his folly, I ordered them to produce him and handed over his houses, dwellingplaces, and children to Murtaza Khan, and having confiscated his property commanded that he should be put to death"

[www.archive.org] page 72 second para.

According to other accounts, he asked the Guru to include some sûrahs of the Quran in the Ãdi Grantha, which the Guru refused to do and this what infuriated Jahangir.

Re: A sufi and his devoted follower
Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: January 28, 2008 07:15AM

Chandra Singh jeeo,

Sheikh Sirhindi belonged to the Naqshbandi sect of Sufis that has been at loggerheads with Qadiri (Chishtee) sect of Sufis who have been close to Guru Ghar. You have correctly written that Sheikh Sirhindi was the main reason for Shaheedi of Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee because he was alarmed with thousands of Muslims becoming Sikhs at Guru Sahib's time. The whole of Tarn Taran area was follower of Sakhi Sarvar, as sect of Muslims and when Guru Sahib laid the foundation of Tarn Taran Sahib, this sect was uprooted from Majha region of Punjab.

Hazrat Mian Meer was the contemporary of Sheikh Sirhindi and was very close to Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee. He was heading the Qadiri sect of Sufis and used to listen to one Siri Sukhmani Sahib everyday, without fail. Jahangir's wife was a mureed of Hazrat Sahib and through her Jahangir later on realized his mistake and washed his hands of sin of shaheedi of Guru Sahib by apologising to Siri Guru Hargobind Sahib jee. He handed over Chandu and other aggressors to Guru Hargobind Sahib jee for punishment.

Sheikh Sirhindi was a very egoistic but strict Muslim who followed Sharia to the fullest. He did a lot of zikar and has written of his spiritual states in his khatoot (letters). In some places he has placed himself even above Mohammad. He is accepted universally by Muslims as the third Mujaddid i.e. reviver of Islam. Alas, he never got real love of Allah and remained a Mutassib (parochial, narrowminded) person all his life.

Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib