kauxujwxYclqqyryAMiDAwrymihdIp]1]
KuidKsmKlkjhwnAlhimhrvwnKudwie]
idnsurYixijquDuArwDysoikaudojikjwie]2]
AjrweIluXwrubMdyijsuqyrwAwDwru]
gunhauskysglAwPUqyryjndyKihdIdwru]3]
dunIAwcIjiPlhwlsglyscusuKuqyrwnwau]
gurimilnwnkbUiJAwsdweyksugwau]4]4]

TILANG FIFTH MEHL
THIRD HOUSE O Creator through Your creative potency I am in love with You.
You alone are my spiritual and temporal Lord;
and yet You are detached from all Your creation.
|| Pause ||
In an instant You establish and disestablish.
Wondrous is Your form! Who can know Your play?
You are the Light in the darkness.
|| 1 ||
You are the Master of Your creation the Lord of all the world O Merciful Lord God.
One who worships You day and night — why should he have to go to hell?
|| 2 ||
Azraa-eel the Messenger of Death is the friend of the human being who has Your support Lord.
His sins are all forgiven;
Your humble servant gazes upon Your Vision.
|| 3 ||
All worldly considerations are for the present only.
True peace comes only from Your Name.
Meeting the Guru Nanak understands;
He sings only Your Praises forever O Lord.
|| 4 || 4 ||
(This HukamNama occurs on Ang: 724 of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.)

>>>

vaheguroojeekakhalsa,vaheguroojeekeefateh!

khalsa jeeo,

Q's:

> 5th panktee
-

Alh

- i pronounce this 'allaah' - is this correct; 'alleh' doesn't seem to make sense.
-

Kuid Kudwie

- because of the way i've heard musalmaan pronounce these words theselves, i put bindee under the khakha; is this correect? i also believe that the word sheikh' should not only have bindee under sassa (sh) but also under khakhha - musalmaan definitely pronounce the khakha with a gutteral empahasis ('back of mouth towards throat' exaggeration).

> 6th panktee
-

dojik

- i think (!) i have heard musalmaan pronounce this with zazza (jajja with bindee) and may have heard pathees do so as well. i currently pronounce it zazza - correct?

> 7th panktee
-

AjrweIl

- musalmaan definitely pronounce this with zazza not jajja - so i put bindee under zazza - fine?

> 8th panktee
-

gunh

- 'gunah' or 'guneh'? incidentally, although i pronounce 'santh' as 'santeh', i pronounce 'dargh' as 'dargah' and not 'dargeh'. should there be just one rule regarding how ha-ha is pronounced at end of words or is this notion incorrect? does this word really mean 'sins'- it seems to sound more like something related to 'virtues' as in 'gun'.

> 9th panktee
-

cIj

- i pronounce ens as zazza (i.e. with bindee) - is this correct? the translation refers to the meaning as 'considerations' but if this is the word i think it is does it not mean 'things' - or perahps it can mean something broader.

> 10th panktee
-

gurimilnwnkbUiJAwsdweyksugwau]4]4]

- could the last part,

sdweyksugwa

, also not be a hukam from maharaaj jee directly aimed at the listener. i.e. instead of meaning:

'Meeting the Guru, Nanak understands; He sings only Your Praises forever O Lord'.

could it not also alternatively mean:

'Meeting the Guru, Nanak understands; Forever sings the praises of The One'.

i.e. maharaaj jee is telling us that he has receivied sojhee since meeting his guroo, vaheguroo, and is now commanding us as to what the implications of this sojhee are - that we must forever sing the praises of the one.

i've just realised that perhaps because of the sihari at the end of

imil

, we can only derive the first meaning i.e. '[via] Meeting the guroo, nanak understands [and] Forever sings the praises of The One'.

but then again, perhaps that grammatical proposition only applies to the panktee before the bishraam i.e. upto and including

bUiJAw

. whose to say the last half of the panktee cannot be unrelated to the grammatical implicationsof the first half?

me and my muddly mind! lol.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Re: Q's: re - hukamnama - 28/12/07
Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2007 10:31AM

---- i pronounce this 'allaah' - is this correct; 'alleh' doesn't seem to make sense.
-----

Correct.

-----
- because of the way i've heard musalmaan pronounce these words theselves, i put bindee under the khakha; is this correect? i also believe that the word sheikh' should not only have bindee under sassa (sh) but also under khakhha - musalmaan definitely pronounce the khakha with a gutteral empahasis ('back of mouth towards throat' exaggeration).
---------

Correct.

-----
- i think (!) i have heard musalmaan pronounce this with zazza (jajja with bindee) and may have heard pathees do so as well. i currently pronounce it zazza - correct?
---------

Correct.

----------
- musalmaan definitely pronounce this with zazza not jajja - so i put bindee under zazza - fine?
--------

Correct.

---------
- 'gunah' or 'guneh'? incidentally, although i pronounce 'santh' as 'santeh', i pronounce 'dargh' as 'dargah' and not 'dargeh'. should there be just one rule regarding how ha-ha is pronounced at end of words or is this notion incorrect? does this word really mean 'sins'- it seems to sound more like something related to 'virtues' as in 'gun'.
-------

The correct uchaaran is Dargah and Gunah

-------
- i pronounce ens as zazza (i.e. with bindee) - is this correct? the translation refers to the meaning as 'considerations' but if this is the word i think it is does it not mean 'things' - or perahps it can mean something broader.
--------

The correct pronunciation is Cheez. 'Duniya Cheez' means all things (cheez) of Duniya. Between the two words 'duniya' and 'cheez' the word 'dee' is gupt. Duniya Cheez means Duniya dee cheezaa (plural of cheez). Philhaal means temporary.

The meaning of the last pankiti of this shabad can be translated as follows:

gurU swihb AwpxI mohr-Cwp lw ky PurmwauNdy hn ik gurU nUM iml ky mYN aus prmwqmw nUM buJ ilAw hY Aqy iesy krky, hux mYN isrP ausy prmwqmw dy gux gwauNdw hW[

Using his Name "Nanak", Satguru jee is saying that I have realized Vaheguru after meeting the Guru and that's why now I sing his praises only.

The sihaari of 'mil' means 'mil ke' i.e. after meeting Guru.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2007 10:45AM

vaheguroojeekkakhalsa,vaheguroojeekeefateh!

veer jeeo,

thanks for that - however, you didn't answer re:

"should there be just one rule regarding how ha-ha is always pronounced at end of words or is this notion incorrect?"

the two examples you clarified seem to suggets that we should always pronounce 'ha' at end but wanted to be sure about your opinion and your reasoning.

also, would viyakaran rule out the the 'potential other meaning' of the last panktee? i'm wondering whether in any instances, where viyakaran applies to some part of a panktee, it may not 'carry all the way through' a panktee.

at the moment, i think the meaning they and you have given is much more likely, especially given the first half of the panktee but wanted to rule this other potential out with firm viyakaran-based reasons.

dhanvaad.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 31, 2007 07:13AM

-----
"should there be just one rule regarding how ha-ha is always pronounced at end of words or is this notion incorrect?"
-----

No there is not one rule regarding this. For the most part the Farsi words should be pronounced like this but not all Sanskrit-root words. It varies from word to word.

Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib